Honored Contributor

I see so many of these advertised especially on HSN.  I like the idea but I can never close the door when I use one.  Do you like these items?  And can you close your door??

Trusted Contributor

Re: Over the Door Organizers

@kaydee50

I personally have never had good luck with any 'over the door' anything, so I'm in the same boat. It's always a pass for me, and the last two homes it just never worked out. I've tried hooks, shoe racks etc. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

I'm not watching HSN so I'm not sure what item you're talking about; however, I have a coat/towel over-the-door organizer and  y door doesn't close all the way. The over-the-door portion is very thin too.

Respected Contributor

I can get them over the door.  Have one in a bathroom for hanging towels, one in the laundry to hang shirts on hangers.  They are useful to have but they rattle and bang when the door is opened and shut.

If you are determined, your door would need to be removed and planed down to accommodate the hanging organizer.

Honored Contributor

Not a fan of over the door organizers, even inside of a closet door. 

I've yet to see one that lets the door close. And many people use them on the inside of a bedroom door, so you sometimes can't get the door all the way open or let it stay fully open if you have things like shoes or bulky items in it. 

Trusted Contributor

agree with both of you, I could never get them right either but in videos and pictures they seem to do ok. I have often wondered did they alter the dcoor, if it is a solid door. I do not think my doors are solid, rather hollow core.

Esteemed Contributor

I gave up on trying those in my house years ago because of the door closing problem. Not only closet doors but even my front door to outside. See so many wreaths hanging from them around the Christmas holiday, and even pretty ones in the spring, but same problem, can't close door.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use one in our bathroom for towels.  I love it and have no problem closing the door.  Most doors can be shaved/planed so that they close.  We had to do that to our bedroom door because after a while it wouldn't shut all the way. We got the OXO Good Grips towel rack that has bumpers to protect the door.  It doesn't move around and works well for us.  I purchased ours at Bed, Bath, Beyond but I just noticed that QVC also sells it. 

download (8).jpg

download (7).jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

In our guest bath I have over the door hooks so when we have company they have a hook for their robes or whatever. In the master bath we have over the door hooks on the outside for our robes and over the door towel rack that has 4 bars. 

My DH did plane a slight bit off the tops of the doors so we could close the doors when using them.He also put a little screw in each one to prevent them scooting across the door. That is why there is a small hole in the part that goes up over the door.

Honored Contributor

I think if you are lucky enough to have a door they work for, it is a really helpful thing.

I'm lucky that my bedroom closet can have one and the bathroom can have hooks and close. Both doors close but I know a lot of them don't. If I couldn't close mine, I wouldn't use them.

And sometimes you don't know if they will work until you get them home. I've had to return several that didn't.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"