Respected Contributor
On 4/2/2015 willomenia said: I have a cloth scarecrow that is bright orange. I too have heavy sun, so I decided to spray it with sunblock spray (I used neutragenia 30). It works!!! Every year (going on 2 now) I respray and it still is as bright orange as ever!

What a great idea! I'm going to try that. Thanks so much for sharing.

Honored Contributor
On 4/2/2015 Hoovermom said:

I have the same problem for you and think I have found the solution. I have a Southern Living at Home outdoor cherub bucket hanger:

Image result for bunch of different color tulipsI change change out the flowers every couple of months to suit the season. I buy the bunches of different colors at Michaels and it looks beautiful on my door. Good luck.

I've been looking for a bucket hanger that will fit between two doors. Does Southern Living at Home have a website? I couldn't find it, strangely enough.

Regular Contributor

I had the same problem. So now I use a grape vine wreath, and buy nice silk flowers at the Dollar tree. I don't hot glue them in I just use the wires from the flowers to poke into the grape vine and it holds even in wind! This ways I can change out season to season, and if some are faded over time I just throw them out and buy a few more, to replace those. I take out each season and put them in a plastic bag to store them till I need them again. Flowers can be costly that's why I get them at the Dollar Tree, or if on a good sale at Michaels. I did however have to throw out my last years wreath altogether, I had a pair of House Wrens that took to making their nest in it on my front glass storm door. They had five babies and we got to see them from the beginning to when they all took flight, it was amazing to watch. I didn't mind having to throw away the wreath, it was well worth the gift they gave us by the birth of their babies. This year however they took nesting on my husbands garage door light! LOL Oh also you can spray paint the vine wreaths, I did one in white for the winter season after Christmas and it looks so nice decorated, all frosty like. Good luck on your wreaths! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor
To keep birds from building a nest behind light fixtures, crumple up several plastic bags and tuck behind the light housing. It discourages them !
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor
On 4/3/2015 ValuSkr said:
On 4/2/2015 Hoovermom said:

I have the same problem for you and think I have found the solution. I have a Southern Living at Home outdoor cherub bucket hanger:

Image result for bunch of different color tulipsI change change out the flowers every couple of months to suit the season. I buy the bunches of different colors at Michaels and it looks beautiful on my door. Good luck.

I've been looking for a bucket hanger that will fit between two doors. Does Southern Living at Home have a website? I couldn't find it, strangely enough.

I found the picture on e-bay, so I would check there. I have had this bucket hanger for at least 8+ years and it looks as good as it did on day one. Love it.

Here it is on e-bay for an unbelievable price. If I remember correrctly it was @ $50. Prices at these parties were very high but unusual pieces which I loved. Good luck.

<h3 class="lvtitle" style="font-size: 16px; font-weight: normal; padding: 0px; width: auto; overflow: hidden; word-wrap: break-word; margin: 0px; line-height: 1.25; position: relative; top: -2px; color: #777777; font-family: 'Helvetica neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"> Southern Living at Home Glorious Door Bucket</h3>
  • $8.00
  • or Best Offer
  • Popular
Respected Contributor

I just read that Southern Living at Home has changed names to:

Has anyone heard about this news? The home party company Southern Living at Home has now been changed to Willow House. It was sold to Entertaining at Home.

I could not get the website to pull up, so don't really know.......

Esteemed Contributor

Post No. 3 is a good suggestion. Also, the ED/Ellen Degeneris line has a metal wreath for sale here at the Q. You might want to purchase one and then add a bow that can be changed out with seasons or with fading. My take.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor
Hoovermom & others my cousin was a director with Southern Living At Home which was sold and name changed to Willow House...unfortunately they are no longer in business doors closed. I was fortunate enough to buy one of their door buckets, patriotic ones & more during the liquidation sale. As for my wreaths (store bought) or any outside decor I spray with clear coat spray paint I've had my decorations last years. No fading or pitting from our "reclaimed water" sprinkling system.
Honored Contributor

Thanks Hoovermom for the info about the bucket hanger. I'll look for it on eBay. It's a shame Southern Living at Home, now Willow House, is no longer in business.

Regular Contributor
On 4/2/2015 SunValley said: ED on Air tonight featured a lovely brushed metal flower wreath. You could add seasonal elements (patterned ribbons maybe) that wouldn't be as costly to replace as a whole wreath. I think they said it would be fine if in a protected area.

They specifically said that this wreath is for indoor use only, but no explanation as to why. Perhaps it has not coating and could rust outdoors. I noticed because I thought that odd.

But if you were to consider something like this, even though the door is protected, perhaps you should consider a spray with Rustoleum.