Honored Contributor

Re: Outdoor Rugs--Do they get mold and mildew on the back?

@Sooner  M51717 are what I have but in the large (8x11) size as well as a 3x5. They are out year round in snow and extreme heat/humidity. No mold, no staining. We have a Trek deck. Then next time I buy another one (due to wanting a new color or as a gift), I'll make sure it is either this brand or is made of the same material.

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@SoonerI have two Veranda Living rugs I purchased here and I leave them out all year round.  We do have a covered deck, but they have been out for at least two winters and I live in the snow belt of Western NY.  I have never had any trouble with my rugs, they still look great.

Hey neighbor!  @hayseed00 

I also live in WNY and also have 2 Veranda rugs which have been outside for 2 winters!  One also is on a covered large back porch.  The other is next to the pool in the open.

Are we twins or what?  LOL

@Sooner 

My experience is the same....while I realize the Veranda rugs were not cheap...they are worth every penny!  I would hope the Scott Bros. would be also.

I have seen cheaper versions at Aldi's but don't know anyone who has tried them.

We are extremely windy on a court.  The snow and rain blows sideways onto that covered porch.

These rugs look as great as the day we bought them! 

Never mold, never mildew and we cleaned up spill stains w/ OxyClean no problem.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

I see, I don't have a deck.

My back porch is colored concrete....by the pool is stamped & colored concrete.

I worried about it making a mark on the colored concrete or maybe the sun would fade the rest of the concrete around where the rug was etc.

But neither has happened.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I’ve had problems with the underneath of these rugs. I think it depends on your climate.

If they get wet, and stay wet for a while, then whatever is underneath will be subject to prolonged damp and its effects.

A lot of rain is going to mount up. If you want to persist with the rugs in that sort of potential weather, you’re going to need to turn them over and move them around.

Trapping dew may also be an issue.

If you’re putting them in a shady area, it’s going to be more difficult to dry them through before they get wet again. That can make them unpleasant to step on too.

It’s not the rugs, they’re fine, it’s the damp accumulating underneath that’s the problem.

The first time I used one of these rugs, I didn’t realize, left it outside on a deck all summer and when I finally rolled it up in September, it left a big green sludgey stain and a lot of peeling deck paint.

i would still use one but I wouldn’t put it out until there’s a long dry stretch of weather unless it’s on a covered porch or something.

Trusted Contributor

@RespectLifeWhat a neat way to meet.  This has been a rough winter and I'm waiting for spring to really arrive.  Nice to meet you neighbor !!!!

Honored Contributor

I have two of the Veranda Living outdoor rugs from here at Q. I've had them for at least four years now. 

The one on the front porch is down all year. The porch is concrete, covered, but gets wet and snow on it regularly. It is very shady with trees, yet no mold or mildew on that one. I never pick it up to dry it, and clean under it maybe once a year. Looks like new.

I have one on the uncovered back deck. The deck it raised off the ground quite a bit, and gets a lot of sun. That one I do put away from late October until April. It hasn't faded, but does have some kind of mildew type something on the corners, where the chairs sit and it doesn't get the sun after it rains. I sprayed it off last fall, and most of it came off, but that rug doesn't look as good as the one up front. Not bad, considering the length of time I've had it, or the exposure it gets, and I'm happy with the way it has performed, but not perfect looking anymore either.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy that brand again, and would do so, but they no longer carry the size and pattern I want for the back deck, so I wait, hoping it will come back.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@hayseed00 wrote:

@SoonerI have two Veranda Living rugs I purchased here and I leave them out all year round.  We do have a covered deck, but they have been out for at least two winters and I live in the snow belt of Western NY.  I have never had any trouble with my rugs, they still look great.

Thanks for all the responses!  I am worried more about the carpet leaving stains or mold/mildew on the deck than the carpet itself.  The deck is WAY more expensive than the carpet!  Woman Wink

The part of my deck covered by the rug looks so much better than the rest of the deck. The rug actually protects the deck from sun, and from weathering. 

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@RespectLifeWhat a neat way to meet.  This has been a rough winter and I'm waiting for spring to really arrive.  Nice to meet you neighbor !!!!

@hayseed00 

Nice to meet you too!  I am north of Buffalo in Wheatfield.  We typically get a lot less snow that the 'snow belt' but this has been a rough one for us too, although we had a green Christmas!

This NO SPRING is starting to get to me!  Almost May and I am still wearing a parka!

Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife  Howdy neighbor, I'm on the Clarence/Akron border.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 

Check out the Cable Knit indoor/oudoor rugs from Ballard Designs.

I bought the largest size in the Sand color when we first moved here a couple years ago and used it indoors until I could order some custom-cut area rugs from broadloom.

No one could believe that the Cable Knit was totally synthetic and  designed for outdoor use....looks great and just like a textured indoor broadloom carpet.

Since then the rug has covered the natural stone floor in my screened porch/patio area and is easily vacuumed to get rid of any type of debris (including pollen).  It  has not gotten any signs of mold or mildew underneath, even though we have endured an exceptionally rainy year or two---not to mention Georgia heat and humidity.

Love the rug.  It gets lots of stellar reviews on the Ballard website.

I do use a grid-type pad under the rug which is designed for hard floors such as stone, but I don't really think the padding has made any great difference in how the rug has worn or looks.