Honored Contributor

Re: Ourdoor spas - do you have one and do you use it?

One of my aunts & uncles have an indoor steam room.  Had it built in way back during the early 60's.  Seated 2.

As a kid one of my memories was the "minty" smell coming from it whenever someone open the steamer door.  Us kids were not allowed to use it until we turned 21.

My cousin who now owns the house, her husband enlarged the steam room to now seat 4.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Contributor

We have one off our deck. I am the only one who uses it unless my Grand Daughter comes over. It is my special place to relax. We do winterize it and only use it from about May to October.

Respected Contributor

Ours has a spillway that flows into the pool. We love our pool, DH likes to swim laps, I love to float on a lounger with a cold drink (:

When we're not using the spa, we use an attachment that turns it into a fountain. It's part of what makes our yard a pretty oasis.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

As wWe had a hot tub with our deck built around it just outside the back door.  Felt like then we just had to have one.  What a hassle to keep up, maintain, hope it wouldn't freeze in the winter ie pieces and parts break.  Well, they did ie heater, thermostat, whatever - total hassle. 

Could not wait to get rid of it.  DH took the saws-all to it.  Gone in one hour.  And in fact, shortly thereafter, tore out the decking and put in a really nice ground level patio.

@PINKdogWOOD. That's how we got rid of ours. Saws all!

Esteemed Contributor

I've been considering a full size/8 person spa. Looks like you have to go larger to get more powerful jets and other features.

I have a good friend who swears by his as he suffers from RA. He uses his daily after work and he's on his 2nd unit. 

Would also love, love an in the ground pool. I swim laps and would gladly ditch the health club membership for my own pool & spa.

Honored Contributor

We don't have a spa, but we do have a nice hot tub on the back deck.  We haven't used it lately, but we used to use it all the time.  

Since the dog, we had to kind of, temporarily, fence it off due to the dog having a proclivity for eating rocks.   We built the deck around the hot tub and put rocks around it.

Trusted Contributor

I've never had an interest in one, because when I was growing up, my family always asserted that they were tacky.  I guess it turned me off of them.  I wouldn't mind a soaking tub for the bathroom, though.

Valued Contributor

When we built our home we put one in with a  deck around. We moved in during fall and used it almost daily, then came a big winter storm, the power went out for almost a week and it froze all the pipes and busted. We ended up having to cut the deck and have someone come and hoist it out. Never again.