Honored Contributor

Our trip home to Florida next week.

We were planning to leave today but an encounter with a deer put that off while the car gets fixed. Then comes Hurricane Matthew so we would have been delayed anyway. We were also planning to take a few days to visit Asheville and Biltmore but now we don't know what we may decide to do. Normally our route south is right along the east coast but next week we may not be able to find hotels  & restaurants open there after the hurricane, so we may have to take I75 which is more west and goes through Atlanta. Unfortunately, we have to  be out of the campground Oct 15 as they turn off the electric & water for the winter that day so no option to wait another week. DH called to make some hotel reservations but the hotels aren't taking reservations due to expecting a lot of evacuees who don't know when they will be able to go home. It looks like we may have to drive straight through - approx. 20 hours drive time. Do able sharing the driving but tough for folks our age. A lot depends on this storm and where it goes - how bad it is.

Honored Contributor

Re: Our trip home to Florida next week.

Sorry, I meant to put this under Home but the screen flipped. Maybe the mods can move it for me.

Honored Contributor

Can you stay a few days with your relatives?  I sure wouldn't attempt a 20 hour drive.  Or at least stay in a hotel in your area until things settle down.

Honored Contributor

My SIL did offer us a place to stay a few days if we have to but she has a yorkie that nips at you all the time and also barks incessantly so we'd rather not. SIL is great and we enjoy spending time with her - the dog - not too much.

Respected Contributor

However you end up making the trip...I wish you a safe journey.  

Honored Contributor

I will be SO HAPPY to be safe and sound at home.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I75 goes through some beautiful scenery, especially around Chattanooga, so there is some compensation.

Honored Contributor

If it were me and the car wasn't going to be ready for you to travel without the threat of severe weather and you have to leave the campground I would put myself up in a local hotel until it's safe to start out.

I'd rather wait it out than have to drive straight through.

Honored Contributor

Why not wait out the storm up north. Wait till the weather, roads and hotels clear out, even if you have to stay in a B&B or a hotel for a few days up north? Go ahead and stay at the capmgrounds till the last day or so, then see how things play out.

Honored Contributor

@athenian wrote:

I75 goes through some beautiful scenery, especially around Chattanooga, so there is some compensation.

Good to hear as I believe that will have to be our route. Many of our Florida neighbors use I75 - they live in Ohio, Indiana , Michigan.