Esteemed Contributor

Re: Our House sold in 21 days!!

Decorate the way you like. Congratulations on the move. Take time to get used to your environment.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kachina 624   We will spend June-Sept. in Wisconsin on Lake Michigan.  We have been in FL. in warm months and want to escape to the north to see family & be more comfortable with the weather.  I grew up on a dairy farm in NE Wisconsin, so it's nice to "go home" every summer to spend a few months with family and friends.

Valued Contributor

I would add one Downer thing to this discussion. When we moved from California to the Gulf Coast 20 years ago, we brought all our antiques and high quality furniture. In year four of living here, Hurricane Ivan hit and pretty much ruined all those pieces. It has taught me how silly it is to place so much importance on "stuff".

Honored Contributor

When I moved here from NJ I brought some furniture (used POD system) as moving costs were astronomical compared to purchasing new!

I purchased a home where the owners had recently furnished home in "coastal cottage" style -- at first I loved it NOW I'm slowly over the years sold most of it or donated.

Now, I decorate whatever I like (which is hard to find here: oak & cherry) so I stalk consignment FB marketplace and estate sales.

BTW I donated the furniture I brought...

I'd decorate once settled.   most the thrift & consignment stores are full of beautiful quality furniture of those who had thought they'd use it here and found it didn't work or they wanted new ...but, good for me!!

Trusted Contributor

@teachergal ,

It's hard to give advice on living room styles when you didn't reveal your preferred style, such as modern, traditional, farm house, whatever, nor what style your new home is.  So much depends on your personal tastes.

I've lived in Florida for 40+ years and presently live on a wooded lot in a wood frame Old Florida Cracker style house with traditional medium cherry Ethan Allen furniture, a few antique end tables, dark leather couch and wingback leather recliners.  Wood floors and tiled kitchen and bathrooms.  Not what most people would consider Florida decor.

Not all homes in Florida are concrete block construction with tiled floors throughout the home.

Not all homes in Florida are on the water and have wonderful views like you see in the magazines. 

I've stayed in rental condos with beachy kitsch decor and it's fine for a week or two but I wouldn't want to live with a sea shell or palm tree beach decor in my home.

Florida homes generally have lighter wall color and furniture and you will see lots of monochromatic Florida living room furniture examples on Google.

If you think you might like coastal or island style furniture, Google Tommy Bahama furniture. 

If you like scandinavian furniture, there is a Danish Furniture Store in Fort Pierce with sleek, modern furniture. 

I suggest Googling the furniture stores in the town you are moving to and look at their websites to see what styles/colors they are selling.  

Esteemed Contributor

It's YOUR home.  Decorate it with what makes you happy every day!  It doesn't matter where it is, it's what makes you happy!

Honored Contributor

I am in western Washington state,  put my house on the market on a Friday afternoon and it sold 2 days later for $140,000 over listing price!!!!! we built it in 1986 for $100,000 including the land and was offered almost 1 million for it . Am absolutely floored!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teachergal wrote:

Moving from MI. to Florida.  I will be getting new living room furniture and my friends tell me to decorate for FL. must be different then how I decorated our home in MI.  What's your opinion?  Send pictures if you can of what you think will work in Southern FL. on the Treasure Coast.  TIA

@teachergal @When choosing decor here in Florida you have to consider your flooring. Sometimes tile flooring does not look right with some furniture. People in Florida have every design style in their homes. There are no set rules. It runs from traditional to modern. You should also consider your home's style. Some open kitchens with very modern lighting fixtures might not work with every decor. We have a lot of sliding glass doors here. The doors affect what window coverings you will use and where your furniture will be placed. 

Honored Contributor

Look at the Southern Living Idea Home 2019, Crane Island, Florida.  Of course, it is quite overtop but there are great ideas and a resource guide for some of the items and some are not overtop financially or otherwise, but it will give you an idea of how light and airy you might want to make your new home.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@teachergal wrote:

Moving from MI. to Florida.  I will be getting new living room furniture and my friends tell me to decorate for FL. must be different then how I decorated our home in MI.  What's your opinion?  Send pictures if you can of what you think will work in Southern FL. on the Treasure Coast.  TIA

@teachergal @When choosing decor here in Florida you have to consider your flooring. Sometimes tile flooring does not look right with some furniture. People in Florida have every design style in their homes. There are no set rules. It runs from traditional to modern. You should also consider your home's style. Some open kitchens with very modern lighting fixtures might not work with every decor. We have a lot of sliding glass doors here. The doors affect what window coverings you will use and where your furniture will be placed. 

Agree. Retired from Ohio to S Carolina, taking all of my quality cherry and mahogany traditional furniture with me. It worked beautifully in SC because homes are mostly brick Charleston style. Recently relocated to Tampa area and brought my furniture. Searched for a home that was not so modern or Mediterranean in style, hard to find. Had to remove tile floors and replace with hardwood and change window treatments, but it has come together well. Love coastal decor, but to me it only looks good if you live directly on the ocean. Mediterranean style seems too heavy for FL, although many of the large McMansions use that style with their stucco walls and tile roofs. Many of my friends and neighbors brought their northern furniture to FL, and it looks just fine. Personally I would never trade my quality vintage furniture for the new stuff manufactured today. Go with what you love. Happy moving!