Super Contributor

Moving from MI. to Florida.  I will be getting new living room furniture and my friends tell me to decorate for FL. must be different then how I decorated our home in MI.  What's your opinion?  Send pictures if you can of what you think will work in Southern FL. on the Treasure Coast.  TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Our House sold in 21 days!!

@teachergal 

We grew up in OH.

My parents were transferred to TX, and then they moved themselves from TX to FL for retirement.

They settled upon this area because our OH neighbors had bought down there first.

The OH neighbors brought their dark cherry furniture and the deep jewel toned items.

My parents bought an estate, so the furniture was included and they sold off most of their furniture before moving from TX to FL as they were the ones footing the bill.

The first time when I visited and we went to the OH neighbors' house in FL, it looked very "heavy" in their new digs.  

Respected Contributor

I have lived in Florida for 41 years and I am a home health nurse so I have been in thousands of homes. You can decorate how you want, but for the most part people decorate with lighter looking furniture rather then the heavy looking furniture that we had up north in Massachusetts. I would not do a beach theme but there is lovely looking furniture that does not have the heavy look. I don't know if that makes any sense or not. I would use a lighter neutral paint on the walls. 

When I have been in homes with heavy type furniture it looks out of place. 

Honored Contributor

@teachergal wrote:

Moving from MI. to Florida.  I will be getting new living room furniture and my friends tell me to decorate for FL. must be different then how I decorated our home in MI.  What's your opinion?  Send pictures if you can of what you think will work in Southern FL. on the Treasure Coast.  TIA

@teachergal When my parents moved from NJ to FL many years ago my mother got rid of most of her furniture and got new.  She only kept two chairs from the old house.  She went from a traditional style to a more contemporary and lighter look.

Of course styles are different now from the 1990s when they moved but I would still stear clear of heavy dark pieces and go with a more airy fresh look.

Honored Contributor

@teachergal    I hope you've been there in the summer before and know what to expect.   Otherwise it would be quite a shock. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is definitely a seller's market.  We're looking to buy in Henderson, NV and not much available.

As far as furniture is concerned, unless it is valuable or has sentimental value, it has been our experience that it is cheaper to buy new than move the old stuff.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I went from a 1500 square foot ranch home in California to a 7500 square foot 3 story home in Georgia.  I thought I'd be decorating my new house much like more old home.  I'd say may old home was very traditional and perhaps a bit on the country side.  Being that we now have so much more room, I also thought I'd be getting a lot of stuff and decorating to the limit for the holidays.  Nope and nope.  I went to less clutter, less decorating for holidays and decor in general, and a little bit on the modern side.  I'd say live in your new home for a while and really get a feel for what you want and like (and don't like).  If you're anything like me, you'll be changing your mind a hundred times.  You'll get some good ideas about furniture and such when you visit the furniture stores and see what's available.  There is a YouTube channel callled Dis Unplugged.  It's mainly for WDW and vacationing there, but the owner and employees have spread out to other ventures like real estate.  IF you type in "Dis Unplugged Moving to Orlando" they show many homes in Florida (not just Orlando) and many of them are new.  New models fully furnished.  Many of them are amazing.  Congratulations on the quick sale of your home and wishing you all the luck and happiness in Florida.

Honored Contributor

have a estate/garage sale and get rid of stuff so there is less to move with you and start with new.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, MI to FL, big difference!    Sounds lovely though.  I live in the northeast but I have cousins in FL and their home is definately on the lighter, airy side.  FL just has that tropical thing going on.  I agree with others, take your time and see what you like when you are living there.    I so enjoy decorating as a hobby, wish I could help you out!  

If it was me, I would go all out with beach, tropical decor!  Being in RI, we have some of that decor but we don't have that tropical vibe here Smiley Happy    We keep it down to anchors and lighthouses.  Have fun and enjoy @teachergal 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a great time in your life - big move. Wishing you happiness, health and prosperity in your new home. Have you checked out some of the furniture stores near your coastal area to get a feel for trends? We're looking to change a room in our home and I just read this -- 

https://www.housebeautiful.com/design-inspiration/a24276474/coastal-design-style/ 

Here are some Florida decorating ideas to help you create a home that is light and airy and can showcase your personal style.
  1. Go Bold in the Family Room. Don't be afraid of adding a little color to your space. ...
  2. Add Small Touches for Big Impact. ...
  3. Create Continuity with Subtle Colors in the Bedroom. ...
  4. Add Wall Decor. (I think wall decor can be challenging. Good luck and have fun)

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau