Respected Contributor

I am really questioning the decision to use carpet in the basement.  I would use vinyl flooring in case (God forbid) you get flooded again.

Esteemed Contributor

You both did great work @wilma. It looks beautiful. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma 

Very nice..now you can sit back and enjoy it.

I feel your pain about flooding..our entire first floor got flooded out with 5' of ocean water and seaweed from Hurricane Sandy and half of the roof blew off...plus too much more to mention. It is a tough road back but rewarding when the work is finally completed....fingers crossed it never happens again to either of us or anyone else.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I am really questioning the decision to use carpet in the basement.  I would use vinyl flooring in case (God forbid) you get flooded again.

@Reever 

We debated other flooring options, but our research indicated that if flooding occurred again, it would seep down under any kind of flooring. Even the ones that say 100% water proof can’t stop water from getting under them according to the manufacturers and experts. The water resistant/proof floors are meant to protect from spills and not flooding.

I’m not really a carpet person (we have hardwood and tile upstairs) but in this case it makes the large space with all that concrete look more cozy and comfortable. I like it more than I thought, and we have taken some precautions to prevent water getting in again. There is just nothing you can do when such massive amounts of rain fall in a few hours. 

Honored Contributor

Good response @wilma . You did your homework first. Carpet warms up the space. I rarely see anything but critical responses from Reever anyway.

Honored Contributor

@DREAMON wrote:

@wilma 

Very nice..now you can sit back and enjoy it.

I feel your pain about flooding..our entire first floor got flooded out with 5' of ocean water and seaweed from Hurricane Sandy and half of the roof blew off...plus too much more to mention. It is a tough road back but rewarding when the work is finally completed....fingers crossed it never happens again to either of us or anyone else.

@DREAMON 

Oh, my! So sorry you had to go through that. We’ve never had 5 ft. of water in this house but my childhood home was flooded that badly. I have always lived in the Ohio Valley region which is prone to flooding. Beautiful hills, valleys, forests, and lots of rivers and streams. 

Honored Contributor

Looks great!

We have a family room with paneling too, and it was really dark when we bought the house. We ran out of rehab money, and had to prime and paint it, and I have to say, I've been pleased enough with the results. I've been wanting to paint again, as it hasn't been done in 25 years, but other things always seem to be more needed. I'm hoping this summer I can work on it in little bits. The room isn't very tall, so I can do it all myself, without any ladders even, so I thought I'd just do small areas every day until I work my way around the whole room. 

I like the colors you chose!

Honored Contributor

You did a beautiful job @wilma 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

It looks so fresh and so much brighter.  You did a nice job. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Honored Contributor

Just a note to say we did not get any water in our basement during the heavy rain the other day. 👍