Honored Contributor

Re: Orange Rooms? 👍 or 👎🏻

@depglass wrote:

Like red, true orange walls would make me hyper.  Way back in my youth I owned an orange Dodge Demon, DH bought it for me from his brother.  Boy did I hate that car.  Ironically, we've had several true red cars since then and they didn't bother me.  Of course sitting inside I'm not that conscious of the color.

@depglass 

Your car sounds groovy! 😉

Reminds me that my brother had a bright orange Pontiac Grand Prix with a white hard top. 😳😱

Trusted Contributor

My bedroom when I was a teenager was orange.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

I actually like the first room but that second one would need to be gutted and start over to suit my taste. It sort of reminds me of a Laugh In skit from years ago, retro maybe.

Respected Contributor

Annotation 2020-05-16 212328.png

What were they thinking ?

Orange Formica countetops, an avocado green refrigerator ? Cheap laminate cabinets.

I would expect an architect to have better taste.

Respected Contributor

Does anyone think that kichens renovations that cost over $20,000 will one day be "dated" ? Or has our taste impoved ?  Im sure in he 1970s they thought this looked good. I admit I did own a lemon yellow chandalier and had an orange vinyl floor in my kitchen.

Annotation 2020-05-16 220439.png

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Does anyone think that kichens renovations that cost over $20,000 will one day be "dated" ? Or has our taste impoved ?  Im sure in he 1970s they thought this looked good. I admit I did own a lemon yellow chandalier and had an orange vinyl floor in my kitchen.

Annotation 2020-05-16 220439.png

It will be interesting to see how all white kitchens and waterfall edge counter tops fair in 20 years or so.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ninjawife wrote:

It will be interesting to see how all white kitchens and waterfall edge counter tops fair in 20 years or so.

Ive said for years the "white kitchen" trend wont last.  In 5-10 years everyone will be back to wood. I watch episodes of House Hunters and all these young women complain about wood cabinets and how they have to 'gut them'.... foolish.

Honored Contributor

I've lived with orange, cantaloupe and pumpkin interiors before and I quite liked them.

Before our house fire last year we had red brick and a light olive green front door.  We had to rebuild and choose new brick.  Totally different colors now.  We have Copper Harbor on the front door.

It looks more orange than copper.  And I smile when I see it.  A cheerful color.

But be careful.  Psychologists say that the reason so many diners and coffee shops in the past used orange was to stimulate the appetite.  It may lead to snacking.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

I love orange in decor but don't use it myself.  I love the first room but the second room is a little cold to me.

Several years ago, I saw a special on HGTV where Vern Yip was redoing his Florida beach home and used a lot of orange.  I was in love with it....especially the master bedroom.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Super Contributor

growing up my bedroom was orange. the furniture, walls . the curtains were chartreuse with big orange flowers. i loved it. it was super cool. my friends thought so too. not sure i would do something like that now. i think i would prefer more subtle colors. the pictures of rooms look tasteful, though.