Honored Contributor

Re: Oprah's new property off WA coast

@Kachina624I'm laughing here. Who can spend 8 million and not have it be an investment?

Curiosity question?? -- Who is it you imagine could buy that kind of island complex and would live there and enjoy it the way you'd want it to be used?

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Kachina624I'm laughing here. Who can spend 8 million and not have it be an investment?

Curiosity question?? -- Who is it you imagine could buy that kind of island complex and would live there and enjoy it the way you'd want it to be used?

@millieshops. Just because one has the means to buy an expensive property, doesn't mean they don't have an appreciation of nature.  This property is on Orca Island where, I'm sure, it abounds.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Well I hope she likes lots of rain---that's all it does up there. Been to the San Juans  many times as I live in western WA. She can have it. Too much gloom for me.

Respected Contributor

That home is really gorgeous. I never thought I'd say this but that kitchen is too big, even for me! I'd get exhausted walking around it.

Honored Contributor

Beautiful home. : )

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sad she couldn't afford anything nicer. I've never cared for her attitude. I guess the rich get richer. 

Respected Contributor

Too much wood for me.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624I suspect Oprah appreciates the uniqueness of her purchase

and having her own the island will preserve it better than seeing a developer plunk down 8 million and build multiple properties or an expensive members-only resort.  I'd be surprised to see her do that.

In the hours between our posts, I attended a fund-raiser on the huge property which was once the domain of a private men's club -  the Vanderbilt's and Rockefeller's and lots of LI and NY names from long, long ago.  When their families were no longer able to maintain the club, the buildings and acres and acres of land were not sold to developers, but turned over to NYState.  It's an oasis for fishers and horsemen and local historians, too, surrounded on all sides by communities which are now developed almost as tightly as they can be unless a generation comes along and allows 10-story towers.  Let's hope not on the Isalnds sandy foundation!

Honored Contributor

@millieshops.  Oprah didn't buy the whole island; I think her parcel is 40-some acres.  She has never seen the property, strictly an investment as she won't live there.  It could easily be developed into private condos or a resort.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment