Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opinions please on this situation (friends & new home decor)

Several years ago I was in the market for a new light fixture for our dining room.  After shopping what seemed like forever, I found a rather unique chandelier that fit my decor perfectly.  When my sister ( who is in a completely different financial statosphere) saw it, she purchased the same for her home. 

It made me a bit angry, because she can afford so much more than I.  

Frequent Contributor

I am sorry you are caught in the middle.  I had a similar experience personally with a friend who thought nothing of copying me when it came to just about anything I wore, jewelry, watches, coats etc.  It

was VERY frustrating for me and even more so when I would tell her how I felt and was met with deaf ears.

I had some say to treat her copying as a compliment to your taste and style.  It still bothered me.  In fact, years ago I did a post on this forum to vent and to ask advice.

I tolerated it more than I should have and after a revelation that  shook me to the core, I ended the 30 year friendship. I will only say that  the copying of the clothes, etc., was a definite factor in what others concluded regarding our friendship and what she was saying behind my back was the tip of a very big iceberg.   I have to say it was the best thing I ever could have done!  It's now a joy to be able to shop without fear that I will see myself on her! 

I feel that there is seriously something wrong with an individual whose actions lead to this kind of behavior. 

It is sad.  It puts you in a difficult position for sure.  I can only say not to let yourself be manipulated into a situation that you will regret later.  If the copier wants you to agree with the choices she made, be honest....tell her what you think and let it be done. 

Frequent Contributor

I am sorry for your loses. 

Understandable for sure, but from someone who was completely blindsided by a supposedly best friend who just wouldn't stop copying just about everything she bought clotheswise, jewelry, hair cuts, hair color, etc. it  can and will end up in disaster for the victim. 

Luckily, I ended the friendship.  Unfortunately, it took me years to do it and those years I cannot get back.  It needs to be understood that people who engage in certain behaviors toward others, have underlying issues that are often unhealthy and disturbing. 

When I ended the friendship, I did wish her well but in no way would I ever mourn the end of it. 

Frequent Contributor

Guys just don't get it! 

I was at the QVC outlet once with a now EX-Friend who bought a ring right out from under me as I was ready to check out!  This was typical of her behavior of copying me on every level.  It upset me as well.

After that experience a few years later we were at the Outlet and I found a beautiful ring.  I saw her coming over to the jewelry counter and told the saleswoman to please take the ring to the register and not come back with it after I called her.  She gave me an odd look but did it.  The friend came over and asked if I was getting anything and I said no.  She went to another store and I lagged behind, called the salesperson back and bought the ring. 

Two months later, after Christmas she saw me wearing the ring and wanted to know WHERE I got it!  I smiled and said I didn't remember.

Well the next outlet trip, she is with a mutual friend and sees the ring at the outlet and gets all excited and tells the salesperson she wants it in her size.  They didn't have it and she was super upset! 

The woman she was with said to her...why would you want that same ring?  Her answer?  Because I HAD ONE! 

This was what she did to me all the time.....and that is a big part why she is no longer in my life. 

My advice is to be upfront with her.  Tell her how you feel.  If I had spoken up more strongly, I would have saved myself many years of her bad behaviors.

Frequent Contributor

I tried that too, for years.....it never stopped.  Her behaviors just got worse.  I would often say I didn't like looking like twins.  It was cute on 4 and 5 year olds but not on grown women!  She ignored me.  If I told her I was buying something so she would avoid it, she would still go buy it.  If I kept quiet, she would see me in something and would track it down and buy it.  She copied, clothes, coats, shoes, pants, hairstyles and color.  I bought two dogs, she bought two dogs.  We would go to lunch she would order the same things I did.  If she showed up at my house and we had the same items on, I would run upstairs and change but if the situation was reversed, she would not change.  It was embarrassing. 

After years of trying....other behaviors came to light and I ended the friendship  Best thing I ever did. 

Frequent Contributor

Sorry but it is not petty if you are the victim.  It is hurtful and hard to get over.  Behaviors such as this are indicative of deeper problems.  

Respected Contributor

OP, at least now your good friend "A" knows that "copy" friend "B" has no original ideas of her own.  That's sad!

Trusted Contributor

It is not theft of intellectual property. While the copier could have gone about things in a more tactful manner if I was the friend who was copied in home decor I would have just rolled my eyes. 

It is sad they had words and the friendship is over. Maybe someday they will look back and laugh over this.

I WILL tell you what theft of intellectual property is. I am an artist and sell at art shows. I walked into our local M craft store one day and out of the corner of my eye saw something that stopped me. You know like when a mother knows the sound of her child or just knows they are near?

Well...I walked over to the wall where my art piece was displayed. Underneath it was an advertisement stating that MY PIECE was created by ONE OF THEIR INSTRUCTORS and the instructor was going to be teaching classes on how to paint MY PIECE!

I took it off the wall and asked to speak to the manager. I told her that the item was mine, I created it and the "instructor" didn't even know what was used to create certain parts of it. She asked me how I knew it was mine and I pointed to my signature at the bottom. I pulled out my drivers license. I have an unusual first name. And said...first of all I KNOW my own work and secondly...see my name on my license! Now see my name on the item? She just looked at me with wide eyes.

I said to NEVER APPROPRIATE my art for their profit and try to pass it off as theirs again. I took my item and walked out of the store.

THAT is theft of intellectual property.

Respected Contributor

Al I can say is, I wish I had the money to have such a thing to gripe about. 

Honored Contributor

this is a OLD thread started by me back in Feb. 2017.

The friendship was dissolved (between them) & I have definitely moved on from "their drama"!  I haven't seen these ladies in a while - fine with me!!! 

Lifes short 😉