Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opinions on this wreath please

I think the space looks lovely as is @crazycockermom and I think any of the wreaths would look nice, except for the blue.  

Esteemed Contributor

@crazycockermom Over the years, I've read that pictures should be hung at "eye level". It's really easy to hang too high, I've seen it, and it doesn't look right to me.  Not sure how tall your dh is, but the pictures could be eye level to him. I think if you lowered them you would be happier and maybe not feel that you have a space that needs to be filled in.

Have a Delicious Sunday

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@crazycockermom If you want more cozy perhaps place a beautiful throw across the arm of the chair.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

morewineplease....depends on your style, but personally wouldn't go with the wreath.  I love the re-covered fabric on the chair and it looks like pup is happy with your choice!  It is a small space and I think, if anything, the top choice posted by lola would be ideal.  It adds a beautiful motif, but it is light.  Let us know what you decide!

Esteemed Contributor

@crazycockermom I think the purple you prefer would look nice.  Give it a try. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@crazycockermom wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@crazycockermom I'm not sure it's a look I would choose, but I think the wreath would be fine. I also think the purple would work as well or better than any of the color options. I think it would play nicely off the pink chair. Unless the pink wreath is the same shade as the chair, I think it could just look unmatched and potentially odd. the white is pretty but might wash out and the blue, to me, just brings in a too different intensity of color. I might also consider lowering the pictures a bit. It might be the angle of the shot, but they appear to hang quite high on the wall with nothing below them for balance. I've also often heard thing work best in threes, so if you had a similarly framed picture to add to the grouping, that might be worth considering.

Woman Happy

Thanks for all your ideas!   DH helped me hang the pics and he's tall which often results in pictures ending up higher than I prefer.  I bit my tongue but just may move them down myself sometime.  It might be hard to find a picture that goes with those two, but I will consider that.  

I'm not sure how the chairs are coming across, but they aren't pink at all, they are a taupe color.  

I have the same issue, but I just supervise and impose my will.  Pictures hung too high are not a good look!  LOL!!!

I'd skip the wreath, and you need a tiny table for iced tea and a little floor lamp for reading!  So, can I some read there????  Looks like it is shaping up to be a special place.  For cool days, a pretty throw and add a tiny pillow or too to prop up a neck, elbow or book!  

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I think sometimes a photo is taken at angles that don't show what is 'real' so while it appears that the pictures are a bit too high on the wall, may or may not be true. It maybe only looks that way, from that picture. 

I'd vote for a floor lamp in this area, because it is very small. It needs lighting to be usable as a reading chair. 

And I like the idea of a clock on one wall. But I think until you figure out the lighting (floor lamp or small table and lamp), it would be fruitless to put more holes in the walls, just to have to move things all over again later. I'd leave it alone and think, and make my next move my 'final' choice with the lighting included.

I don't care for the wreath there at all. And that is just a personal thing because I had a lot of florals on my walls for years, and have been weeding them out over the last couple. With that particular VPH wreath, I can't see anything but the white working. I think it woult pick up your trim color and look nice, color wise.

I really love the color of your walls. I tend to avoid color on walls because I never get it right. But you have done a great job choosing the color. And I pick up on the frames in these pictures mirroring the dark floor, which I like.

If this were my room, my first thing to try would be a Tiffany style floor lamp with just the right colors and base. I find them to be works of art on their own with lighting an extra bonus. There are so many colors and styles, and you would get your "art" and lighting all wrapped up in one piece, therefore less clutter. I have one in shades of green that sits on my desk, that would be perfect in your room with your walls and chair. Not every Tiffany lamp has dragonflies or tons of colors. Some are very muted and just a couple of colors. 

By the way, I love your posts, and pictures. You always give us a fun time to offer (and get!!) suggetions, learn about color, scale, etc. and the pooches are the best! I often take away so much from one of your "opinions please" threads, and am amazed at all the ideas people come up with. I feel like we get to decorate and 'buy' without spending any money! I always have fun and get challenged by your posts, so thanks!

Thanks so much mominohio!  I sometimes wonder if my posts are annoying, but it's nice to know some enjoy them.   I really appreciate everyone's opinions.

I am going to look at Tiffany lamps and see if I find something that works.  I have a lot of things to consider when decorating.  First, we don't have a lot of company so it is mostly for us.  Secondly, I have to take the dogs into consideration.  There are gates in the dining room, so I don't have to worry about them in there.  But they love to wait in the living room for us, so I have to take them into consideration.   So currently, my newly re-covered chairs have beige towels on them to protect them from the dogs, who love the new chairs, lol, go figure.

I appreciate all your ideas.  I have never really had a lot of florals and am loving Valerie's things, which are new to me this past year, so the wreath is new to me, that's why it caught my eye.  But I want to be careful about accumulating things I wish I hadn't.   Will try the lamp first and go from there.  

Thanks so much!!

Respected Contributor

I want to thank everyone for all your input!  On my phone so hard to reply to all that responded, but I have read every one of your responses and will take them into consideration.  Thanks so much!!!

Trusted Contributor

Beautiful chair, fur baby and I love the wreath............

Respected Contributor

@pattypeep  Hanging pictures (and mirrors in bathroom) at eye level can turn out to be very funny.  If you are 5'2" and your husband is 6'5", it can be very interesting.  I once stayed in a guest house and the small mirror in the bathroom was so high that I could not see my face.  When I asked the host why they didn't put it at eye level, I was told that it was at his eye level.