Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions Please on Cabinets

I think having the grey on the bottom would look really nice.  maybe stain the uppers a softer grey? Was that already mentioned? Sorry if it was and I didn't read it. I hate my ugly formica cabinets---circa 1986----and would love to tear them out and start new--I have a small kitchen that is dark so cabinets would have to be a white or cream----yes send some pics if you can.

Esteemed Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@Kachina624  Obviously just your opinion but I have one wall in my kitchen painted a very light gray and it is very attractive, not at all "cold" or "institutional" looking. To each his own.  

@Janey2 I painted our kitchen walls a very light gray and it looks good as well. The color compliments the oak cabinets. There are so many "shades of gray" (LOL) that it really makes the difference.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@Diamonds22  Yes, I will send pictures later today. We are heading to Costco this morning. 

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Before grey became the thing... I had my old maple kitchen cabinets painted a soft, lighter grey and have never regretted it, though I'm not typically a big fan of grey. Being honest, I dislike oak cabinets and were they mine, I'd paint or restain all of them. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

A warm gray or Greige will typically compliment oak. I believe Benjamin Moore "Collingwood" and Sherwin Williams "Mindful Gray" are 2 that come to mind. You may want to consider a paint color with the same depth as the cabinets. 

Based on experience (and many errors), I would recommend painting a very large sample (a piece of cardboard will work) with the colors you are contemplating. Look at the shades at different times of the day.  I've had paint colors that I love during the day, but look dingy at other times.

Also, in the event you were to decide to paint the remainder of the cabinets down the road, make sure you are able to match the paint.  I can be a little type A, but make notes of how many coats, or if there's any specialty products used; in effort to make sure things will blend down the road. 

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe it is just me, but I would never paint over beautiful wood cabinets.  

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I think it's a shame that gorgeous oak anything is considered passe these days.  I understand it, however, everything comes back in style eventually.  Most important, please yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

I would be cautious.  Perhaps just refinish and replace hardware.

Unless you are OK with possibly stripping some day, paint might be forever.

Right now I am hating white kitchens, but remember a few years ago when they were dark?  The world spins.

Honored Contributor

I don't follow trends, period.   Oak cabinetry will never be out of style in my eyes; I prefer stained wood to painted wood any day.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@Kachina624  Obviously just your opinion but I have one wall in my kitchen painted a very light gray and it is very attractive, not at all "cold" or "institutional" looking. To each his own. 

@Janey2  I totally agree with you. We painted the walls of one of the houses we renovated gray with a tint of Sage and it is beautiful. The cabinets are white and they go well together.

Gray cabinets are very attractive.  The gray now is not the gray of long ago.