Super Contributor

Re: Opinions Please -- Keep the Parquet or Replace?

I vote replace.
Respected Contributor

If you have the budget to replace the parquet with real wood floors, I would do so.

Honored Contributor

On 7/2/2014 Marsha2003 said:

If you have the budget to replace the parquet with real wood floors, I would do so.

Parquet from the era the OPs house was built is real wood. She stated hers are oak

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I was a real estate broker for several years and nothing would turn off a client like parquet flooring. People today want houses to look new even though they aren't. So, if it's in the budget, replace the parquet and get real hardwood flooring.

Honored Contributor

I happen to love wood parquet. My only reservation would be whether it might be preferable for the whole house to either be one or the other... especially if the rooms are open to each other or are closely proximate.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 7/2/2014 di-mc said:

I was a real estate broker for several years and nothing would turn off a client like parquet flooring. People today want houses to look new even though they aren't. So, if it's in the budget, replace the parquet and get real hardwood flooring.

Probably makes sense, but if the OP just bought in 2012, resale is probably not a top priority.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

I had seriously considered buying a used home once that had parquet throughout the entire house. I loved it but did not plan to keep it in its current stain color if the sale went through. My plans were to significantly darken it a deep dark brown, almost black.

Wound up not making an offer on the home only because the current owners were taking everything with them; the chandeliers, nearly all of the lighting, etc. etc. The home was a FSBO and the people were somewhat hoarders. I figured that it was going to take them forever to pack up and move and that they were going to leave the house stripped bare.

Built a custom home instead and have dark tile and wood throughout.

But I see nothing wrong with parquet, especially if you update it with a dark, dark stain.

Contributor

Please, Please, keep the parquet. I would give my left arm to have my old (ca 1850) parquet floors back. Sadly, I couldn't take them out of the old house Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I thought parquet was margarine

Super Contributor

I like parquet wood flooring..........it is not as ""popular"" as other styles of wood flooring but I would keep it if it was mine but my opinion is not important here. If you like it keep it..... If you don't then replace it......whatever decision you make will be the correct one.