Esteemed Contributor

I think they have open shelving on those shows so they can grab the stuff quickly. I agree with everyone who said your dishes would be dusty. 

Valued Contributor
I've never liked open shelving in a kitchen. It looks nice when staged, but with daily use, in my house it would look like a mess.
Honored Contributor

I do like this look but it certainly means what's inside MUST look great. You need to have clean shelves, maybe with nice shelf paper, a lovely set of dishes and glassware that match nicely together. You must lose the mismatched plastic containers for whatever usage and/or lose it altogether. It just all needs to look great.

I have friends who took off their doors and have open cupboards, looks nice but I have to agree - dust, dirt, whatever gets inside just as it all settles on your furniture. I wouldn't do this but to each her own.

Honored Contributor

I would not want open shelves in my kitchen for all the reasons others posted. 

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I do like the look, but I'm sure anything up there would be full of cat hair if not an actual cat.

@catter70 

LOL! 🤣😆

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Shall I start a list of what I see on HGTV that I don't like?

I don't like open concept.  I don't want to feel like I'm living in a gymnasium

Wide doorways are as far as I would go.

A front porch.   I love Hometown but not everyone loves a front porch.   I don't want anything covering my windows & doors.

Open shelving in the kitchen is ok in small doses.   If you have an awkward space near a window or an overhead vent, maybe, but only for items you use often.   

I do like porches.

To your list of don't likes I would add wood covered range vents.  I can't imagine how you would keep that clean.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Open Shelving

[ Edited ]

Remember they are designing for "the look" for people who hardly ever cook or use the stuff in their kitchen.  Most of us who cook know this would hardly ever work.   Plus a lot of people are just too messy for it to work.

Plus they are doing it because it is cheaper than cabinets.They have to make their budget.

Respected Contributor

@software   There are alot of things I dislike too on the hgtv shows! I dont have FYI or DIY anymore and used to like the Snow Sisters.

Respected Contributor

my cabinets are always messy im glad the inside cant be seen lol

Trusted Contributor

I've always disliked open shelving because of the dust/dirt issue.

I have a baker's rack in my kitchen, and it held mostly serving bowls, Temptations bakeware and casserole dishes, all of which I didn't have room for in my kitchen cabinets.  One time I made a batch of rice pudding for some friends.  We were running late, and my husband said he would put the rice pudding in a bowl for me and cover it with plastic wrap.  He grabbed a big bowl off the baker's rack and proceeded to spoon the rice pudding from the saucepan I had cooked it in.  When I realized where he had gotten the bowl from, I screeched "you DID wash that bowl first, right?"  He looked at me puzzled and replied no, that he hadn't...and why would he have needed to? 

Gotta love men...they have NO clue!!