Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

Aside from the placement being impractical, visually it reads "heavy" and a bit dated to my eye.

I like shelving, but don't currently have any because, well basically I am too lazy to stay on top of that kind of constant cleaning. If I were to add shelving if would be something like this from Pottery Barn:

sussex-glass-shelf-z.jpg

@magicmoodz this is what I have, or something very similar, two of them.  Would be nice to have the tile wall behind them, but mine is just painted sheetrock.  I added thes shelves because of the very limited countertop space that I have.  I keep Q-tips, some makeup items, and some of my skincare on them.  I don't get why it would be any more unsanitary than keeping all that stuff out on the vanity counter.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

The art, floral accents and bath are ok.  Not fond of the dark wood or the window treatment.

I have a glass shelf in my bathroom.  It doesn't cause an issue.

@ECBG  Do you have to climb in the tub to reach items on your glass shelf?

@proudlyfromNJ 

No.  The shelf is about shoulder height next to the sink.  I can angle my makeup mirror and sit while using the curling iron. 

Also, I only shower.

Honored Contributor

I do not care for this look at all.  I have a closed medicine cabinet over my sink filled .  If I had these open shelves I would have to keep it neat and organized, not practical for me .

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

The art, floral accents and bath are ok.  Not fond of the dark wood or the window treatment.

I have a glass shelf in my bathroom.  It doesn't cause an issue.

@ECBG  Do you have to climb in the tub to reach items on your glass shelf?

@proudlyfromNJ 

No.  The shelf is about shoulder height next to the sink.  I can angle my makeup mirror and sit while using the curling iron. 

Also, I only shower.

@ECBG  Oh ok my mistake. I thought we were discussing the picture posted by the op. I only shower also.

Honored Contributor

Fine, the location over the tub is cumbersome, but I tell you, this is NOT an open shelf. Enlarge the picture and look carefully. There is a frame going all the around the unit, which appears to be a cabinet door holding clear glass and a knob in the lower right corner for opening and closing the cabinet.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Oh my, no.  That whole pic gives me the heebie jeebies.  Too much stuff to knock over, shelves are non functional, don't like the back splash and what is that thing hanging over the tub?

Honored Contributor

I don't like the placement of the shelves or really anything in this bathroom. I love my cherry bath cabinets, but I don't like the dark wood accents with this color scheme. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't mind the open shelving but it's the location of it that doesn't make a bit of sense to me.  I have a small 3 shelf wooden unit that has removable glass shelves in my bathroom.  I have it hanging on the wall behind the bathroom stool.  I wipe down the glass shelves each time I clean my bathroom and dust off the wooden frame when it needs it.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: Open Shelving in a Bath

[ Edited ]

Im 5'2" and it would be difficult for me to reach items on the upper shelves....could be used to "stage" some nice bath products, but just not practical.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Not a fan of much in this bathroom.

If only art decor were used for the shelves, fine.  But not essentials, placement isn't practical.

What's with the top-heavy vases on a regular ledged tub?

I do have open shelves in my baths from RH, but they all have a little rail.  I keep small jars and vases of different colored sea glass and pillars or votive candles on display.

I do like that tiny tile surrounding the tub.  I have it in my MBath all the way to the ceiling.