Respected Contributor

Old & Modern Living Room & Loft Snippets

The top 2 pics are the living room, and the bottom pic is the loft. I found that it was a challenge to mix the old with the new, but sometimes the results were interesting.

The carved buffet and the ivory & green chest in the living room are over 100 years old. I decided on ivory for the walls because I have colorful accessories. The buffet holds the TV, and I clicked a pic while a movie with Joan Crawford was on Lol. 

Livingroom 2.jpg

Livingroom 3.jpg

Loft 2.jpg

The bookcase in the corner of the loft is filled with books, but I haven't had much time for reading lately. The flower pots were from a garden center excursion that I had gone on with my dad years ago, and I stuffed them with florals from amazon - a post on the Q's website gave me the idea. The blue credenza is filled with some of my favorite old crystal pieces.

Honored Contributor

Re: Old & Modern Living Room & Loft Snippets

@Desert Lily 

Thanks for sharing photos of your home.

I also have a mix of older and newer pieces. I think that gives a home a more interesting look. Your antiques look to be in great condition. The hand painting and carving details on them are very unique. I like the dark wood floors with your shades of blue and aqua. I think the lighter wall color was a good choice with the dark floors and colors in your spaces. 

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily You did a good job! I, too, like to mix old & new, and different styles. I like my rooms to look as though I picked up pieces here & there. I also have white-ish walls, because I love to accent with color.

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily,  you know I always love a mix of old and new!  Your antiques bring character to your modern elements, enhancing the whole.  I like the way you've brought modern art into the mix with your older things too. 

What a gorgeous carved buffet, perfect as a base for your TV.  I also like how the warmth of your floors works with your beautiful blues and greens.

You are really lucky to have a loft, as a second "living" area.  The light that spills in from that dormered window at the far end is another cool element.

Thanks for taking the time to bring your snippets--  you have a wonderful new home.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desert Lily    Very nice!  I like the mix of old and new.  I really like the loft. Thanks for sharing!  Was it you that just moved recently to PA?

i always am watching old movies on TCM!

Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily, You did a wonderful job decorating your home.  I love some antique pieces in my home, as well.  I am sure you will enjoy your lovely new spaces.  

Esteemed Contributor

You did great @Desert Lily   Looks very homey and inviting 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lynnie61  Yes, I'm the one who moved there. When one of my siblings says he's thinking of selling & moving long distance, I think of all the challenges, stress, and work, and my advice repeatedly back is "Stay where you are." LOL.

10 years ago, it would have been easier. And 20+ years ago when I did move from NY to the West Coast, it was close to being a breeze. With the pandemic, I ordered everything that's new online. I didn't see the builder's house options in real life either (I Zoomed & Skyped to see samples), and I didn't go shopping in stores. I purged what I didn't need before I moved and crossed my fingers that there would be some kind of cohesion with my old & new things. We worry about the tops & pants we buy not being the right color, but bed linens, chairs, & curtains are a real gamble to get the colors right from a laptop screen.

I never want to move again, and I tried to think of things that would make living in this house more convenient for me. I have a 1st floor primary suite and laundry room, a large walk-in shower, a little taller than average toilet, light fixtures that face down so I can change the bulbs easier, lamps so I don't have to use overhead fixtures, and I had the electrician put in long-lasting bulbs. 2 beds are adjustable. My small dog has long hair and I had to vacuum the bottom foot of the drapes often in my last house, so I bought 84" length this time instead of 95" to the floor. I carpeted the stairs in case I fall someday & have a little softer landing, and I bought an irobot roomba! I'm sure there's more I could've done LOL. It may not be a dream house, but it's a forever home. 

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily   I’ve never moved out of state.  Sounds like you made some great choices for yourself.  I’m sure it was exhausting.  To try to do it online, and not see some samples live, was probably a challenge.  Hope you love your forever home!  

Like a lot of people, I have too much “stuff”, so I’m trying to downsize.  I think because I lived here so long, you don’t always realize how much stuff you have accumulated. Time to change!

Have a great summer!  I do love the 4 seasons in PA.  I do enjoy reading the home forum here.  So many great posts and pictures.  

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily I love it when people mix new and old. I think it gives a lot of warmth to a home. I really like all the prints in your chairs....especially the ones in that last picture. It looks like a wonderful cozy place to live!