Valued Contributor

Re: Oh No! My Beautiful Chesterfield Tufted Sofa!

[ Edited ]

I love that Chesterfield style. It would be such a marvelous luxury to enjoy it as is. No blankets or anything.

Years ago my beloved dog at the time and I had an understanding.  I would walk down the stairs in the morning and as if by cue, I would hear a thud. That was my girl jumping off the sofa after sleeping on it all night when the family went to bed. By day she was a perfect angel and wouldn't dare to jump on, even if the kids wanted her to. But by night, watch out!

My mother had plastic on her sofa and it was so uncomfortable. Especially if you had no air conditioning and you were wearing shorts.

An older friend had the plastic runway in her apartment. It was like hopscotch trying to get from one room to another.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina  Plastic is definitely a NO.  Cover it with a nice bed sheet or blanket, etc.  When company comes take it off.   You may want to spray the sofa with Scotch Guard to protect it from liquids/stains.  You can buy it at Target.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@RinaRina   When I was a kid my mom bought a beautiful sofa & 2 coordinating chairs. She immediately had them covered in plastic.When mom passed 30 years later the plastic was still on the furniture.When I removed the plastic it all looked brand new.

Mom was so concerned about preserving her beautiful furniture that she forgot to enjoy them. I never liked sitting on the couch or the chairs.The plastic was hot & scratchy.I preferred sitting on the carpeted floor.

So the furniture outlived mom.I ended up donating them to the local senior center.In my house, I buy comfortable cozy couches.I sit on them all the time. When they wear out they get replaced.
  Life is too short. Enjoy your couch 🛋.Please don't let it outlive you!!

I think that type of thing was common for people of that generation. My Mom had an aunt who had her furniture covered in thick plastic and she was childless. That was one miserable woman. 

Respected Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

I can relate. For years I drooled over this tufted furniture but wouldn't purchase it. Well....I finallay did last year when we started re-doing the house. I LOVE it!!! Now, my dogs are trained not to get on the furniture in the living but okay for the family room.

Hope this works our for you as well as it does for me.

The sofa was for me and the dog.  My dog is a chi/rat terrier.  That breed is with the owner at all times.

I already caught my cat using the sofa as a scratching pad, but I can control that because she's very smart and trainable and has scratching posts.

The problem is ... (if you're a "dog person" you'll understand this ...) I need the dog to be next me.  He's kind of a comfort dog.  LOL!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

I just got a new sofa TODAY.  It's so beautiful, the first thing I did was COVER it with 3 blankets.

Tonite when I got home, I realized, if I keep it covered I'll never be able to actually SEE it's beauty.

Oh noooooooooo!

Now what do I do?

Cover it with see-thru plastic?  Do people do that anymore? 

Woman Sad

I know how you feel.  We just got a new sectional yesterday (our old one was 18 years old).  Im finding myself not going in that room and sitting on it because it's new and pretty and I don't want to ruin it.  The store offered the scotchguard treatment but we declined because it was over $300.  We won't eat/drink in there anymore but I'm still worried about everyday wear and tear.

Honored Contributor

How wonderful!  Get a towel for your pup if you have one and enjoy.Smiley Happy  You can always have it cleaned by one of those dry chemical companies.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina 

Enjoy your sofa!

In addition to Scotch guarding, I use nice decorative throws on my sofas. Our former & current dog like to sit with us on our sofas so throws make the furniture last longer. My DH also snacks and drinks while sitting on our sofas. I would rather have my DH & dog with me than banished to another room or the floor. 

When we bought a new sofa a few months ago the salesperson was amazed we hadn’t replaced it in 20 years. It was still in good shape so we moved it to the basement to replace the furniture we lost in the flood. He said people buy new sofas every 3-5 years. Really? I was raised that you use furniture until it falls apart.

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@RinaRina 

Enjoy your sofa!

In addition to Scotch guarding, I use nice decorative throws on my sofas. Our former & current dog like to sit with us on our sofas so throws make the furniture last longer. My DH also snacks and drinks while sitting on our sofas. I would rather have my DH & dog with me than banished to another room or the floor. 

When we bought a new sofa a few months ago the salesperson was amazed we hadn’t replaced it in 20 years. It was still in good shape so we moved it to the basement to replace the furniture we lost in the flood. He said people buy new sofas every 3-5 years. Really? I was raised that you use furniture until it falls apart.

I'm with you @wilma .  I buy high quality furniture and keep it for years and years.  If I need or want to have it reupholstered I will do that but not replace the sofa or chair.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I'm with you @wilma .  I buy high quality furniture and keep it for years and years.  If I need or want to have it reupholstered I will do that but not replace the sofa or chair.

@NickNack 

Agree.

Some of the sofas today aren’t made very well compared to the past. Some use cheap plastic springs and three sided partial wood framework. My DH always wants to look under the furniture before we even consider buying it. The last salesperson was very accommodating, but previously, we have had stores look at us like we had 10 heads when asked to see the construction underneath. 

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

My mom never covered her furniture in plastic but she had a close friend who did.  Her living room sofa & chairs were custom covered and she had a plastic walkway covering the carpeting.  To sit on the furniture was noisy and uncomfortable!

When I moved into my brand new house almost 19 yrs ago - the movers placed plastic over the carpeted stairs - and I never removed it. Two years ago I decided to remove the plastic running along the staircase. When I pulled up the plastic, it removed lots of the carpet. So I then had the stairs tiled (which looks beautiful). I always want to see and enjoy my furniture.