Respected Contributor

Re: Oh No! My Beautiful Chesterfield Tufted Sofa!

@RinaRina  I love Chesterfield sofa's and planned on buying one from Macys a while back, but I sat on it and it wasn't comfortable.

I settled from some grey chenille sofas from Ashley a few years ago, but when I replace the ivory sofa set in the formal living room, I'm getting a Chesterfield sofa. 

Don't cover it and enjoy it.  It can always be replaced and after all, what are you saving it for....the people that will get it after you tire of it, or are gone?

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina : Congrats on the new sofa. A major purchase.

I replaced my sofa just over a year ago when I moved . I was deciding between a light gray fabric and a chocolate chenille. Funny- I had light colored sofas when my kids were young and they were OK.  This time I went with the chocolate for something different and because I expect to have this sofa for a LONG time. I do keep it covered with a matching fabric cover where I sit and with a small cover where my little dog likes to recline beside me. Each can be removed and laundered or stashed in the storage ottoman at a moment's notice.

Enjoy your new sofa!

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina  I would say just enjoy it.  You probably will find another one just as beautiful in several years that you want so why keep this pristine and make your life complicated?!!  My one grandmother had plastic on her sofa, fanccy French provincial dining room furniture, plastic and newspapers on her floor then wondered why her grandchildren hated to visit her!!

Esteemed Contributor

I would take into consideration the fabric and amount of actual usage it will get and by whom.  My family room couches get a lot of daily usage and I do have a couple of throws for the dog as he has claimed the love seat and I do eat in the family room often.  My living room couches get very limited use so are a pristine as the day I bought  them years ago.  

Do whatever you're comfortable with and what works for your family.  

Esteemed Contributor

One of the reasons I don't have pets.  I have friends who have dogs and once beautiful, expensive leather furniture only about 3 yrs old.  The furniture is all scratched and full of dog hair.  I could not live w/that.  That and I am too old to be cleaning up after pets.

Esteemed Contributor

I can relate. For years I drooled over this tufted furniture but wouldn't purchase it. Well....I finallay did last year when we started re-doing the house. I LOVE it!!! Now, my dogs are trained not to get on the furniture in the living but okay for the family room. I would cover it with a few of Dennis Basso throws ( I find mine on clearance) during the day and just flap them over the arm of the furniture when you want to enjoy your new furniture. The DB throws are so pretty that it doesn't distract from your beautiful furniture. 

Hope this works our for you as well as it does for me.

Honored Contributor

I guess how you deal with it depends on your lifestyle. 

Kids and pets are hard on furniture, if you let them be. So if I had to leave and knew that pets would be on it, I'd cover it while I was gone, then monitor when home, uncovered to enjoy it. 

While it might not be popular, kids can be trained too. No food on the new sofa, no sitting on it with dirty clothes, no shoes on it etc. 

I know when I was younger money was tight and something like a new sofa, I bought expensive and needed to keep it for decades (and did). So taking good care and caring about keeping it nice was important. As I age, money is a little easier to come by, and while I still want things to last a very long time, I know my life is on the down side of the hill and I want to see and enjoy the things I have, even if it means wearing them out faster than keeping them under cover would allow. 

So I say compromise and protect when needed, but enjoy when you can!

Esteemed Contributor

Scotchguard?  If you're that concerned and it's fabric, I would. 

Furbabies and visitors? A colorful throw over the back or on a blanket rack closeby and available?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The first thing I would suggest is to Scotch Guard it.  I bought a new sofa a few years ago.  I paid to have it Scotch Guarded when I bought it.  I have a dog and a cat that sit on it.  I bought a Berkshire throw for my cat to use, because he sheds.  He won't sit on the throw, but my dog loves it.

I never eat or drink anything other than water while sitting on my couch.  It looks just as nice today as the day it was delivered. 

I've never known anyone who actually covered their furniture in plastic and would never consider doing that.  It wouldn't look good and would be very uncomfortable to sit on it.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

If I'm going to buy something I want to enjoy it. If not, what is the point in buying it. 

I would never cover it with blankets or plastic. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?