Honored Contributor

Re: Oh No! My Beautiful Chesterfield Tufted Sofa!

My newest couch (2 years old) at our summer home is covered with bright striped pestemals.  

The couch is covered in machine washable performance fabric.  I'll probably never have to clean it.

But with kids and sunscreen and food--yes food!--I keep the rotation of 43 pestemals.  14 of which are still brand new and packaged.  

About once a week I wash and hang them on the outside line.  They usually dry within an hour. 

So many people have gone and bought them for their couches and chairs after they saw mine.

They are cool and comfortable Egyptian cotton and pretty colors.

The cats don't summer with us, what they don't know won't kill them.  lol

Honored Contributor

Not sure why this is an "Oh, no" moment.  Just use it and enjoy it!!

Respected Contributor

Never use scotchguard on a leather sofa!  Depending on the grade of leather your sofa is made from, you can use a conditioner on it to keep it soft and subtle.  Leather ages beautifully from wear.  The nails from any animal will scratch and damage the leather.

Enjoy your sofa, it is not a museum piece but meant to be used and enjoyed.  My mother's favorite saying was:  Caskets do not come with drawers!

Respected Contributor

I truly did not know that some people still use plastic to cover their furniture! 

Honored Contributor

I would cover the sofa with one of those Sure Fit covers, that's what I did when I got my new leather sofa and club chair. There was no way I was going to spend thousands of dollars on furniture and have my cat have his way with it. Everyone enjoys the furniture with the Sure Fit covers on it and when company comes I remove them.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Cover it in plastic? Bite your tongue (just kidding)! Put a throw on it when eating or drinking. How can you enjoy something wonderful if it's all covered up?

Years ago late DH and I bought a beautiful Ashley brand sofa with recliners at each end, covered in a beautiful cocoa colored microfiber. We had just adopted another cat after our other one died and bought her a special cotton "blankie". She only sat or laid on that blanket!

If we forgot to put in on the couch, she'd sit and stare at us until we did!

Enjoy your new sofa!!

@Love my grandkids 

Interesting story about your kitty.... I have two Tuxedo cats...one of them INSISTS on having her special throw on the couch before she will join me....but the other HATES the throw and wont sit with me until I remove it....cats are funny....Cat LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

One of the reasons I don't have pets.  I have friends who have dogs and once beautiful, expensive leather furniture only about 3 yrs old.  The furniture is all scratched and full of dog hair.  I could not live w/that.  That and I am too old to be cleaning up after pets.

I have a small lhasa apso and she doesn't shed. She's on my sofa in the family room all the time.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

My newest couch (2 years old) at our summer home is covered with bright striped pestemals.  

Interesting!

I've never heard of pestemals.  (Had to google it.)

I like that idea.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@RinaRina  Is it leather?   How about a picture...love a gorgeous Chesterfield!

Honored Contributor

I buy Linum Home *Summer Loving* in ocean blue and a few in the peach color.  My living room and sitting room are pastels.  The couch takes 7 so that it is completely covered (armrests and chaise included).  Most people wouldn't be that crazy, but I am.

But the color and designs are endless if you get any of them.