Honored Contributor

Re: 'OLD WORLD' HOUSTON HOUSE

Staying with just the Houston topic for a moment, I found some neat things about the city when I visited.  Some very charming neighborhoods.  But I have to agree with @Northray, a big asset is the presence of some mighty nice people.

Houston was wonderful in many ways to New Orleans after Katrina, even to the point of absorbing many people seeking a new home and new life!   So two cities I have a real soft spot for.

Valued Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Staying with just the Houston topic for a moment, I found some neat things about the city when I visited.  Some very charming neighborhoods.  But I have to agree with @Northray, a big asset is the presence of some mighty nice people.

Houston was wonderful in many ways to New Orleans after Katrina, even to the point of absorbing many people seeking a new home and new life!   So two cities I have a real soft spot for.

@Oznell wrote:

Omygosh yes, can't remember who the mayor was at that time, but I remember almost every business in Houston had special discounts just for the Katrina folks.  Some just gave away free stuff.  And churches everywhere in Houston were taking Katrina people into their homes.  In fact, the show Reba did an episode about Reba taking in a Katrina family.  Reba's show was shot in Houston.  I have so many good friends in Houston.  Always enjoyed the restaurants and bars on Richmond.  I lived in the Memorial area.  Just outside the loop.  Their 4th of July concerts were the bomb.  If you could stand the heat all day before the show that is, lol.  Oh yeah, the Rodeo was a blast too.  Saw some of my favorite musicians there.  Good times.         

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

They really showed their heart during that whole catastrophe and aftermath, @Northray --  American neighborliness at its best.

Respected Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain 

I agree.  I like the entrance but the rest is way too heavy, ornate and OTT for me.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

Ha, this Dallas native agrees 100%.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal.  Dallas, with its strict zoning, is a much more attractive city.  They don't win any accolades for great weather either.  I'll just stay out of Texas.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The family room is my favorite - that being said, I'd need go replace the furnishings to more my taste.  Love the wall of doors.

The entrance way is welcoming - again, change to my taste.

The pool area is very nice - just change the ugly planters & replace the lounge chairs - again, more to my style.

Not a fan at all of this style home.

Edit:  don't know how I could forget the cute pooch!  Any pet makes a home more welcoming to me.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

I agree although Dallas is less humid.   Between the weather, bugs and politics, I'm staying in NM.   

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal.  That's my plan too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

This home is lovely. I love the colors, decor, woodwork, and everything else that goes with it.