Super Contributor

O/T swimming pool with Baja steps/ sun deck

Not sure where to post this question.

We are remodeling our pool and not sure about adding Baja steps. It looks like a cool idea. I am concerned about it taking up room in our pool. I know it can be built on the first or second step and the pool designer said to go with the second step.

Do you have one and do you like it or regret it

Valued Contributor

Re: O/T swimming pool with Baja steps/ sun deck

I was unsure about it too because I thought it would take up too much room.

I don't regret it. My husband calls it the bow wow seat because the dogs use it a lot. My grandson loves it too.

Honestly , if we didn't have the dogs and grand kids, it probably would not be used much.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Honored Contributor

I think you would like it, suggest you go ahead.  Just be careful when you're swimming laps - don't want to crash into the steps!

Trusted Contributor

@Beautiful life----What is a Baja Step?  I don't a pool, just curious.-------tedEbear

Trusted Contributor

Valued Contributor

@tedEbear It's a fairly large section of the pool that is about 6 inches deep. you can put short leg chairs on it. I tried to copy a picture and post it but couldn't do it. 

If you want, you can google baja seat and see images. We have an umbrella in ours so we get some nice shade. Like I said my dogs love it. One loves to swim and he uses it to get out of the pool and the other one won't swim but he uses it to get his paws wet and cool off.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Trusted Contributor

We love ours. We have a long free form pool so we have room for laps/play on one side. Our spa is on the other side, raised above shallow end with water spilling into baja bench. Kids like to sit under it. You enter our pool on the side next to spa with a step onto the bench and there is a step from baja bench into pool, one on each end of bench. We have a umbrella insert in the middle of bench if you want sun protection. Ours is fairly large. I just like the interest of our waterfall and bench, it visually breaks up the other long side. We also have a sitting step along the side of pool. One next to spa in shallow end used to step up into spa without getting out of pool. The other in the deep end to step out of deep end or to sit on. Both are on spa side so they dont protrude into the lap side.

Trusted Contributor

@azgal----Thank You, looked itup and recognized immediately.  I didn't realize a wide step had a fancy name.