Super Contributor

O/T Simplifying your life/Minimalism

SmileDoes this concept appeal to anyone but me? I have really been reading a lot about this idea and I am really liking what I read. I do enjoy decorating and creating a nice home and welcoming atmosphere, but the older I get, the less I enjoy dealing with so much "stuff".

I am starting to want to simplify my life and my home and scale back on things that I really don't need. I think that is going to be my new year's resolution for 2012, is to really tackle organization, get rid of things I don't love, and focus on enjoying the things I do love for my home.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

I was thinking about this concept the other day when I saw a clip for "Hoarders". {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} It amazes me how people can have so much stuff. I wondered when I saw that clip, how people get to that point. Most people don't have the massive amount of stuff that those people have because obviously there is some mental illness there, but I started to think.....how much "stuff" is too much? How much is enough? This is something I sort of started thinking about probably a year or more ago when I decided to give my son half of my kitchen items, an extra set of dishes I wasn't using, and tons of other stuff for his apartment.

When I was finished packing it all up and boxing it up for him, I realized that I had plenty left and I wasn't even going to miss the boxes of stuff I was giving him.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}And the day before, I probably would have sworn that I "needed" each and every dish and pot and pan and glass that was in my kitchen. This made me think about how much "stuff" I needed, how much is enough and I started to wonder if I could ever be a minimalist and if I could, would it bring me more peace and allow me to live my life in a better way? A more simple way? I like the idea of it, but could I really do it? Would I really want to? Would I miss having a lot of "stuff"? Could I live that way?

Do you think the more we buy and have the more we want to buy and own? Do you think that the less space we have in a home, the more we think we need to fill it? Kind of like the idea that, the more money you make, the more money you spend? I would really like to focus on these issues for my own home and life. I would like to focus on buying "needs" and not "wants" going into the coming year. Not just due to the economy but because I would love to bring order and simplicity to my life as I age.

This is interesting-- on zen/minimalism.....it really speaks to me. Could I really do this in my own life? Could you? Would you want to? What do you think? Food for thought!!Smile

CLICK