Honored Contributor

Re: Now I'm convinced it's me!

Since it was custom made,  I'm surprised you could return it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

No not custom made but I picked fabric. Why wouldn't they!!! These chairs were not cheap in price BUT quality😕😠.

This store is a family-owned I'm told as they only have 3 locations I would think they should stand behind the product they sell.

And honestly, I will NOT allow them to NOT make good on this purchase! (It's not like I have kids jumping on them it's just the 2 of us and in the living room that is hardly used).

Now, my so called "leather couches" I bought from Room 2Go the "leather" is peeling after18 months..so glad I bought the warranty they are replacing them!  Although I realized the longevity and price point when I bought them.

Esteemed Contributor

Most of my casegoods are Amish.

That said do your homework because even among the Amish, quality can vary.  Most Amish builders  deal strictly in one line of case goods so if  a builder specializes in bedroom furniture he likley won't have a line of dining room furniture.

If you're looking fot Amish quality in upholstered furniture, check out Smith Brothers of Berne, IN

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We even have an Amish Furniture Store in Albuquerque and we're pretty far removed from Amish Country. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first thought, was Amish!! They make beautiful things. Quality.

I remember when they asked us one time if we wanted it "stain protected", seemed like a good idea. We got there to pick up the chair, and saw them just soak the chair with spray we could buy at the store. Holy smokes, won't make that mistake again. We should be set anyway. I won't replace the couch again either. single chairs make more sense to me now. Edited to add this wasn't an Amish place, don't get me wrong.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Most of my casegoods are Amish.

That said do your homework because even among the Amish, quality can vary.  Most Amish builders  deal strictly in one line of case goods so if  a builder specializes in bedroom furniture he likley won't have a line of dining room furniture.

If you're looking fot Amish quality in upholstered furniture, check out Smith Brothers of Berne, IN

We have Smith Brothers sofa and chair in our family room, and they have been here fro probably 15 years. I have to say they are the only 'abused' upholstered furniture in my home. They still look and function great, even after raising a family on them. 

Haven't seen their quality lately, but my set is still going strong, both the fabric and the structure.

Valued Contributor

@Q4u, I've noticed this trend of companies deliberately creating products that will have a short life span, and I despise it with a passion.  Hey, remember when telephones used to be purchased only from the phone company, & they lasted FOREVER?  Now-a-days, I can't tell you how quickly we go through phones.  And cell phones now seem to have a shorter life span too, where suddenly the keypad will stop working, or the charge won't hold, etc.  Maddening, because I suspect it is done on purpose to get us to repurchase.  Gone are the days when we bought 1 set of pots & pans and handed them down to our daughters, 'eh? 

(Just an example)

I remember my grandmother was very thrifty even though my grandparents were well-to-do, because they lived through the Great Depression.  She didn't waste anything, & when she did buy something, she kept it & used it forever.  As consumers, we don't have very many chances to buy things that will even last a few years!  And the waste to the environment is substantial.  What are future generations going to discover in our past history (a la Egyptian digs), if nothing we have lasts?  Plastic, I suppose.  Piles of plastic. 

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

When we moved to Florida we purchased furniture from haverty's - total junk. Looked good, wasn't cheap but has not held up well. Only 5 years old and looks old already. 

We also purchased some from a company called Savon. A little more pricey but was well worth the investment. Still looks brand new and perfect.I highly recommend this company if you have them where you live. In Pittsburgh we bought furniture at Levins and it held up well for many years we had it plus I gave it to a friend and it is holding up well for her too. Furniture is so expensive anymore too - like everything else.

Honored Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

There's a lot of furniture being imported too. I've wondered how anyone can order furniture without sitting in the actual model? I see so many lovely pieces like Pottery Barn, ect. 

How do do we find GOOD QUALITY furniture these days?

About 20 years ago we bought a recliner chair and reclining sofa from Laz y boy. We still have them in DH's den - they still look like new and are without a doubt the most comfortable seats ion the house. Since our current LR set is looking horrible and falling apart we are planning to replace it with a set from laz y boy and hope we get as good quality as we did last time.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Mustang Shar wrote:

There's a lot of furniture being imported too. I've wondered how anyone can order furniture without sitting in the actual model? I see so many lovely pieces like Pottery Barn, ect. 

How do do we find GOOD QUALITY furniture these days?

About 20 years ago we bought a recliner chair and reclining sofa from Laz y boy. We still have them in DH's den - they still look like new and are without a doubt the most comfortable seats ion the house. Since our current LR set is looking horrible and falling apart we are planning to replace it with a set from laz y boy and hope we get as good quality as we did last time.

And because of their stellar reputation (20 years ago and earlier) people still flock to this brand and will unfortunately discover that their furniture, fabrics and foam have changed dramatically.....  just fair warning.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*