Respected Contributor

Re: Now I know why they call it High Efficiency Washer

@drizzelllawrote:

Panda123

I am SO TEMPTED! I really like them.

When I was in Disney in November I used them. I could not believe how they washed the clothes and did such a nice job! I kept raving about the Speed Queen. Who in their right mind raves about a washer on Vacation! ME!

Then we went to the laundromat and they had them. They did such a nice job on the bulky things. The stuff came out clean and not all twisted. 

I wonder what they cost. Guess I have to wait for this "new" washer to die. And the way they make washers now - shouldn't take too long.

PS - Just looked up Commercial Speed Queen - the 2 models I looked at $2,600 - $2,700. That is a whole lot of washing. 

@drizzelllaI believe I paid just under $700 three years ago. It will be the last washer you will ever buy. The big box stores do not sell them, you have to go to a mom & pop appliance store. Go for it, you won't be sorry.

Respected Contributor

A year ago my four year old Kenmore Elite made by LG (high efficiency) failed as time cycles were irregular and not spinning enough. Parts not available to fix. My four year old machine costing over $700 needed replacing. I was in no mood for high efficiency but want clean clothes. Went with GE that has agitator. Large and too small loads create imbalance. Miss my 15 year old Kenmore. If your machines work, baby them. New does not mean better in this industry.
Respected Contributor

speed queen has got changeg for 2018. look on utube and see the difference. they still fill up but dont wash as good as they use to.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had an LG front-loader for well over a year now, and had a Whirlpool front-loader at my previous home.   I want my wash load to have enough water to clean the clothes and enough water to rinse, and I don't appreciate the government regulations dictating that machines do otherwise.

.  Therefore.........

With every single load, I've overcome the scant water and imperfect rinsing by always selecting one of two options to add to the original setting ---"water plus" or "extra rinse". 

Sometimes I also choose to do  a  15-minute "speed wash" with no detergent  after the original wash completes.

This works for me.  My clothes, sheets and towels don't come out smelling like detergent ( I use Liquid Tide HE) and I'm confident of a more even cleaning and less chance of detergent build-up in the machine.

I've been in situations many times over years where extended hotel stays and laundromat visits have necessitated use of Speed Queens.  Not impressed with the performance and don't appreciate the rough treatment that these machines give to clothing

Perhaps non-commercial Speed Queens are better, but I'm going with a front-loader with a lot of different settings so I can select the results I want.

Honored Contributor

I don't want another HE either!!

Trusted Contributor

@chicletwrote:

I thought I was the only one who had one of those washers.  It washes and dries at the same time.....I feel I am wearing half dirty clothes.

I KNOW with confidence that my new efficiency washer does not clean the clothes as well! I can sometimes still smell the sweat in my husband work clothes!

I hate these new machines! 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Contributor

If I had a choice, I'd go back to the agitated machines. We got the Sears Kenmore and I had the same experience. Half the clothes were still dry and stinky. Now I put the setting on either bedding or extra dirty( or something). And then turn it to two rinses. It fills it with extra water. It took me a while to figure this out but it does ok now but it also takes about an hour and a half to complete.
Honored Contributor

Geez how can you all have so many issues with your HE washing machines? I've had a HE machine for the past 7 or so years now. The last 4 years in my old house and now 3 years in my new place. I've had a Samsung brand. Love it! I use all the options and have never had a problem with any of them. I loved my Samsung so much in my old house that I got the new improved model for my new house. There is no way I'd ever revert back to the old technology. No way.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I know, @ID2.  I love my HE top loading Hotpoint (it has an agitator).  $299 and works like a champ.  I do my king-sized comforters and blankets in it, even.  Takes just a teeny amount of detergent.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

We have the HE Samsung washer and dryer with the sanitize and allergen cycles. It is a front load duo that was a real splurge. Had them for three years and just love them.