Contributor

Re: Now I know why they call it High Efficiency Washer

Hi,  I have a Kenmore Elite HE washer and all my clothes get wet.  Even adjusts the water use for the size of the load.  I can do one towel or a whole bed set and everrything is wet.  Be sure to use HE detergent and fabric softner.  Anything else will gum up the machine.  Make sure the clothes are not wraped around each other.  I love my Kenmore and wouldn't change for anything.  Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzelllawrote:

@Puppy Lipswrote:

So if I am interpreting this correctly, a part of his clothing never even got wet?  Just asking because my washer is experiencing a long and painful death, and I will be in the market soon.  I have no idea what kind of washer to buy.

Yes - you are right. Part of his pants never got wet. PLEASE keep your washer you have now as long as possible. I had a Maytag for 35 years. It rusted out in a spot so I got a new washer. I am so disappointed in the new washer, I wish I got my 35 year old Maytag repaired.

Thank you for the advice!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

I have an LG front loader that gets everything wet weather it’s a full load or not. They guy at the store told me the top loaders are very very noisy and will only put out a certain amount of water so you can’t put as much in them as a front loader because the clothes won’t get wet. He said the noise of the top loaders are the number one complaint. In fact, they have a sign on each one of them saying that they will not accept a return based on the noise level. 

Esteemed Contributor

I always bought  Sears Kenmore washer dryers...never had a problem....i had to replace my washer a few years back and ended up going with a

Maytag Bravos.....and i have found times when the a few of the clothes coming out seem partially dry......and i was never sure if it was just not getting wet enough or the spin cycle squeezed it so well that it almost

dried out the piece of clothing.....and i bought "X Large Capacity" so that i could do large washes and not have to worry about my bedspread washes

being too large for the machine...my old  Large capacity Kenmore worked great with the bedspreads and i wanted to make sure when i purchased the newer washer it would do the same........WELL...it ALWAYS seems to mess up the machine when i put the bedspreads in...goes into UL(unbalanced mode)...the timing gets messed up, etc...........................so next time i may go back to Kenmore...and DEF get a washer with an agitator...i think part of the problems with the larger loads is the agitator isn't there to help keep the clothes arranged equally and it get the machine weighted down on a certain side and then creates the UL cycle......

good luck....i think these days it is all hit and miss

Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lipswrote:

So if I am interpreting this correctly, a part of his clothing never even got wet?  Just asking because my washer is experiencing a long and painful death, and I will be in the market soon.  I have no idea what kind of washer to buy.

I replaced mine a few years ago and I read a LOT of reviews on various sales sites as well as Consumer Reports and Good Housekeeping.

I did not get a front loading washer because the ones with the best reviews were considerably more than I wanted to spend. I got a top loader high efficiency washer and matching dryer by LG. It was one that had come in at the top of the Good Housekeeping reviews when it was new, but the model had been on the market a few years when I picked it up, so it cost less by then. My dryer conked out and my washer was starting to go, so I hung my clothes to dry for a few weeks and waited for a 4th of July sale to pick mine up.

My mom has a stacked front-loader and dryer by either Kenmore or Whirlpool. It uses enough water and gets the clothes clean - I do my laundry there when I see them on vacation - but it does have the same mildew issue that seems to plague other front-loader machines. They make those wash tablets you throw in to deodorize and clean the machines, but they don't really get into the gasket area where the mildew seems to grow. That part needs a lot of manual attention. I've had my machines nearly 3 years now and haven't noticed any issues with smells or mildew.

Not all top-loaders are created equal and I read reviews about quite a few of the top loading machines that also did not seem to fill well or get the clothes wet enough. The LG I have does both.

Honored Contributor

@kelsey17wrote:

I always bought  Sears Kenmore washer dryers...never had a problem....i had to replace my washer a few years back and ended up going with a

Maytag Bravos.....and i have found times when the a few of the clothes coming out seem partially dry......and i was never sure if it was just not getting wet enough or the spin cycle squeezed it so well that it almost

dried out the piece of clothing.....and i bought "X Large Capacity" so that i could do large washes and not have to worry about my bedspread washes

being too large for the machine...my old  Large capacity Kenmore worked great with the bedspreads and i wanted to make sure when i purchased the newer washer it would do the same........WELL...it ALWAYS seems to mess up the machine when i put the bedspreads in...goes into UL(unbalanced mode)...the timing gets messed up, etc...........................so next time i may go back to Kenmore...and DEF get a washer with an agitator...i think part of the problems with the larger loads is the agitator isn't there to help keep the clothes arranged equally and it get the machine weighted down on a certain side and then creates the UL cycle......

good luck....i think these days it is all hit and miss

I have never been to the laundromat as many times as I have until recently. My new washer can't handle quilts, sleeping bags etc. So I end up going to the laundromat to get them cleaned. And as I am sitting there waiting in the laundromat, I keep thinking I might as well just bring the regular stuff and do it all at once. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla My wonderful 18 year old Whirlpool agitator washer recently died and I had to find a replacement.   To me, nothing really replaces a good agitator washer, but they're very hard to find these days.   Like many others, I researched the new washers and most now have the agitator replaced with high efficiency type machines.  These machines 'weigh your clothes' and dispense the amount of water to a pre-determined level.  

I chose a Magtag Bravos top loader and have found it's acceptable but not nearly as good as my old agitator washer.  It seems to give a good amount of water to cover the clothes.  

I did read online, that some washers don't allow enough water and one woman got around this by simply keeping an empty gallon milk bottle filled with water next to her washer.  After she put the clothes in, she poured the extra water on top so the clothes weighed more.  When she turned the washer on, it sensed the clothes were heavier (than they actually were)  and the washer added extra water to compensate.  So, if you're stuck with one of those washers, this just might be something you might want to give a try.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

When I had to replace my very old Whirlpool washer and dryer several years ago, I didn't want a front loader, and I didn't want anything with a lot of bells and whistles.  I got an inexpensive Whirlpool Elite top loading set with just the simple stuff on them.  I can set how much water I want myself, no matter the size of the load.  (I also drive a 6-speed manual transmmission car, so I guess I'm just a no-frills do-it-yourself kind of girl!) 

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

@drizzellla 

I feel your HE washing machine pain ! 

I have a 10yo Maytag  *Centenial* top loader that is HE.  HA!  what a joke!   

This thing is a low water washer and not efficient at all.  My old Maytag had a water dial setting for  LOW  MEDIUM  FULL.  This washer decides how much water to put in and will wash away with almost no water if I let it run.  Yes, I have pulled out  DRY clothes!  ??

I figured out fast that If I open the lid a few times more water will arrive!  I keep opening the darn lid until the laundry is covered in water and then agitate.   NOT EFFICIENT!  

I saw online a washer that actually  LOCKS when you punch the start button and will not allow you to add more laundry!  ??    Do not buy a locking lid washing machine!  

I really think that  MEN design these new contraptions to make our lives more difficult. ??   

Remember the  LOW FLOW /Code toilets in 1994?  O M G  what a mess that was!  

Keep Calm and Wash On,     CAT

Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lipswrote:

@Puppy LipsSpeed Queen makes the best washer and dryer. Nothing fancy, just does the job.