Respected Contributor

Noticed a new trend in home listings

I recently noticed a new phrase in home listings,  Primary Bedroom or Primary suite, and Primary Bath.

I asked my RE friend about this and she told me that there is a call out to the industry to move away from the term Master Bedroom or master bathroom as the term Master is now considered offensive.

Learned something new every day.  We are looking for a new downsized home for my mom so I will have to teach her the new lingo.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Noticed a new trend in home listings

OMG!!  Can you believe it?!  Total nonsense.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Why ?  Expressions change all of the time, we don't express ourselves in the same way we did in say 1900. Why is any change now offensive ? 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

Why ?  Expressions change all of the time, we don't express ourselves in the same way we did in say 1900. Why is any change now offensive ? 

@QVCkitty1  It's offensive to assume people are thinking something terrible when they use this word.  When people assume others are thinking bad things just because, that's bias.

It's a common word.  It is applied to lots of things and used in far more instances than it is any bad way.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

@QVCkitty1  It's offensive to assume people are thinking something terrible when they use this word.  When people assume others are thinking bad things just because, that's bias.

It's a common word.  It is applied to lots of things and used in far more instances than it is any bad way.  

@Sooner , To me primary makes more sense anyway, master is an outdated term, and like all outdated descriptions it should be replaced with a better description. JMO

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

So many new homes have   2 large  bedroom suites  that  can be used for  extended families .

Honored Contributor

Someone must have been bored to death to think of that one!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Someone else on here posted this a while back, I think. I still haven't noticed the use of  "primary" in local real estate listings. 

Respected Contributor

A few years ago, we added a first floor master suite to our home.  Calling it either a primary or secondary suite makes a lot more sense if and when we list it for sale.

Primary or secondary takes up less space in wording and clearly identifies for the reader that the bedroom is significant in size compared to the other bedrooms.  Many years ago, houses didn't have the kinds of rooms / layouts that are more common nowadays.  

Vocabulary eventually catches up...no big deal.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree with @Sooner @that "it's a common word" and applied to a lot of things. Ie. Masters degree.