Honored Contributor

Norwalk furniture???

[ Edited ]

My husband and I ordered (well, pre ordered kind of) a Norwalk chair and ottoman, sight unseen, on Friday. 

I had seen one online on Facebook, pictured in a posting for a local gift and home furnishings store I really like. We went down to look at it and they said that it sold as soon as they put it on the floor. 

So, they’re going to order one for us.  They wrote up the order and are holding it till mid February, because the manufacturer sale starts then, 20% off. We don’t pay anything till it’s actually ordered. 

We’ve never owned any Norwalk furniture.  Does anyone here own any that could give me opinions?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

We have a bar height table and four chairs from Norwalk in our kitchen/breakfast area. I liked the store because we could pick out all elements of the design, chair design, table design,  stain finishes, and  everything. It has been several years now, but I remember the turn around time was as stated and delivery was good. The pieces are solid and heavy.  The Norwalk store is no longer in our area, which was a surprise to me, because I thought everything went well, at least with our purchase. It is exciting to get new furniture! Good luck with your purchase  Hope you enjoy it!

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

My husband and I ordered (well, pre ordered kind of) a Norwalk chair and ottoman, sight unseen, on Friday. 

I had seen one online on Facebook, pictured in a posting for a local gift and home furnishings store I really like. We went down to look at it and they said that it sold as soon as they put it on the floor. 

So, they’re going to order one for us.  They wrote up the order and are holding it mid February, because the manufacturer sale starts then, 20% off. We don’t pay anything till it’s actually ordered. 

We’ve never owned any Norwalk furniture.  Does anyone here own any that could give me opinions?

I've had Norwalk furniture in the past (I mean like almost 30 years ago) and just recently gave it to my son (a sleeper sofa). It was very sturdy and held up well, I just got really tired of the pattern after about 25 years of looking at it. The frame, fabric and everything was still like new.

Like anything else, I'm going to assume it might not be made the same as 30 years ago, so sorry I don't have a more recent experience to share. 

I will say I would be very leery of ordering a piece of upholstered furniture that I hadn't been able to sit in first, to feel the fit and the comfort. Is it something that will be more for looks or for function? If it is to be more for the look and not heavily used, you'll be ok, but sofas and chairs have to fit me just right in the seat (width and the length of the seat....some are so short and when you sit in them, they don't come close to reaching all the way to your knees), and they have to have the right support in the lumbar area. 

When I shop for upholstered furniture I'm looking at the style and the way it feels to sit and get back up out of, as I know I can order the fabric of my choice, but I just wouldn't invest in an upholstered piece I hadn't sat in for awhile first. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Norwalk furniture???

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

So, they’re going to order one for us.  They wrote up the order and are holding it mid February, because the manufacturer sale starts then, 20% off. We don’t pay anything till it’s actually ordered. 

I've had Norwalk furniture in the past (I mean like almost 30 years ago) and just recently gave it to my son (a sleeper sofa). It was very sturdy and held up well, I just got really tired of the pattern after about 25 years of looking at it. The frame, fabric and everything was still like new.

Like anything else, I'm going to assume it might not be made the same as 30 years ago, so sorry I don't have a more recent experience to share. 

I will say I would be very leery of ordering a piece of upholstered furniture that I hadn't been able to sit in first, to feel the fit and the comfort. Is it something that will be more for looks or for function? If it is to be more for the look and not heavily used, you'll be ok, but sofas and chairs have to fit me just right in the seat (width and the length of the seat....some are so short and when you sit in them, they don't come close to reaching all the way to your knees), and they have to have the right support in the lumbar area. 

When I shop for upholstered furniture I'm looking at the style and the way it feels to sit and get back up out of, as I know I can order the fabric of my choice, but I just wouldn't invest in an upholstered piece I hadn't sat in for awhile first. 

@Mominohio- thanks. I think we’ll be fine. It comes in two depths and based on both my husband and my sizes, they knew exactly which one would work. Said the standard size would be the right size for us. The larger size would be too big. Nope, didn’t get to sit in one, but she said it’s extremely comfortable. I wanted comfortable. Here’s a picture of the chair. We picked a color that’s a little darker. 905BF6EF-B21A-4F48-88CF-2DEFEE54073F.jpeg

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

Great looking chair, @gidgetgh. It looks super comfy. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Valued Contributor

I had a Norwalk chair and ottoman for just over 20 years.  It held up extremely well.  I just recently gave it away, because the ottoman needed to be reupholstered.  Rather than spend the money on reupholstering the chair and ottoman, we bought a new chair instead.  You should be very pleased with the quality of Norwalk.  Enjoy your new furniture.  🙂