Honored Contributor

Re: Northern Nights bringing back down blankets!!!

@Daysdee wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

I saw in Insider today! Yippee! I bought them 15 years ago & time to refresh them.   

Many colors to choose from.  I use as comforter it's perfect here.

tsv 9/20

@homedecor1

Not to discourage you but simply a heads up.

My mom has a very old NN down blanket, and it has been used for many years, still in great condition. Several years ago, she purchased another one, and the quality is not even close to her older original one. 

The material is not as nice, the thickness is much thinner, and the feathers leak out, where as the older one did not. 

Sad, but they have reduced the quality of their goods so much over the years, but then again, who hasn't?

Don't be surprised if you order one, and it doesn't measure up to an older one. Let us know what you think of the quality if you get one!

I bought one when QVC first came out with them.  About 7 years ago or so I replaced it.  This newer one is a much lesser quality than my first one.  Would be nice if the originals came back, but I doubt that will happen.     Also, wonder why QVC no longer shows a lot of feather beds?  Same thing happened with my purchases of these.  First one was great; second one wasn't nearly as good.   Feathers came out and it got flat quickly.  Even weekly turning it didn't help.      Don't have one now.

@Daysdee

We used to use a feather bed too, and honestly at first it was heaven, but I got so tired of the daily fluffing and the bed looking so 'poofy'. The amount of dust from all the punching up and turning every day! 

Then there was the lugging it downstairs and outside to the clothesline several time a year to really beat out the dust and get it some air.....too much work.

And like you, our second one wasn't nearly as good in quality as the first one was. I was never so happy as the day we got a new mattress and could put the feather bed out to the burn pile!

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Before I bought a down blanket, I want to know how they obtain the down.  In the past it's not been animal friendly.  I wonder if the process has changed? 

I don't think there's such a thing as feather & down products that are "animal friendly".  They don't shear the geese or ducks or whatever it comes from to get the down & feathers like they do with sheep.  It's probably like leather, a by-product of the meat industry.

@aubnwa01, in the past, the down feathers used to be plucked from live birds. 

I wonder if that is still the case? 

Honored Contributor

Down are feathers.  They are just the finer feathers that are under the tougher exterior feathers.