Respected Contributor

Re: Northern Nights bringing back down blankets!!!

[ Edited ]

Kachina624 wrote, in part: ". . .  why are feathers so expensive?"

Down and feathers are not the same.  Down is a fine, fluffy layer found under the feathers.  Down is springy, lofty, whereas feather quills will eventually interlock, causing them to weave themselves into a flattened layer. Thicker down clusters give more warmth.  

For comforters and/or blankets, down from either a duck or goose is usually used. The best is white Hungarian goose down, but, of course, the price can be prohibitive.

Edited to correct a typo.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624

Its cool and cozy (not Hot) I have had this blanket over a year and washed many times.

I ordered another for my bed as I had a big pretty heavy comforter set - we were sweating to death.  For us, this weight is just the perfect warmth & for $30 if it wears out I know some puppies who would appreciate it!

I just checked it's the Concierge BoxQuilt down alternative blanket on HSN.  I got mine with free shipping.  

And its serving now as our bed comforter its perfect! Check it out.

I have no idea why feathers are so expensive maybe the processes they need to go thru to get all the nasty stuff out of them.  

New Contributor

Do you know if they are "fluffy", or real thick? I love the Northern nights sheet sets.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

i found item # of blanket I bought 524-315

Honored Contributor

Thanks @homedecor1.  Pretty colors too.  I just ordered the aqua. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

I hope you as pleased as I am! Plus I have a "picky" (for nicer word) spouse about bedding.  He loves the softness of this blanket & weight!

Valued Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Kachina624

i found item # of blanket I bought 524-315

I am considering one in blue.

Honored Contributor

mominohio wrote:

homedecor1 wrote:

I saw in Insider today! Yippee! I bought them 15 years ago & time to refresh them.   

Many colors to choose from.  I use as comforter it's perfect here.

tsv 9/20

@homedecor1

Not to discourage you but simply a heads up.

My mom has a very old NN down blanket, and it has been used for many years, still in great condition. Several years ago, she purchased another one, and the quality is not even close to her older original one. 

The material is not as nice, the thickness is much thinner, and the feathers leak out, where as the older one did not. 

Sad, but they have reduced the quality of their goods so much over the years, but then again, who hasn't?

Don't be surprised if you order one, and it doesn't measure up to an older one. Let us know what you think of the quality if you get one!

I bought one when QVC first came out with them.  About 7 years ago or so I replaced it.  This newer one is a much lesser quality than my first one.  Would be nice if the originals came back, but I doubt that will happen.     Also, wonder why QVC no longer shows a lot of feather beds?  Same thing happened with my purchases of these.  First one was great; second one wasn't nearly as good.   Feathers came out and it got flat quickly.  Even weekly turning it didn't help.      Don't have one now.

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

I bought one when QVC first came out with them.  About 7 years ago or so I replaced it.  This newer one is a much lesser quality than my first one.  Would be nice if the originals came back, but I doubt that will happen.     Also, wonder why QVC no longer shows a lot of feather beds?  Same thing happened with my purchases of these.  First one was great; second one wasn't nearly as good.   Feathers came out and it got flat quickly.  Even weekly turning it didn't help.      Don't have one now.

@Daysdee  Feather beds have been replaced by memory foam pads.  The feel is similar but the memory foam doesn't mash down or need fluffing.  Not so many allergy problems either. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Before I bought a down blanket, I want to know how they obtain the down.  In the past it's not been animal friendly.  I wonder if the process has changed? 

I don't think there's such a thing as feather & down products that are "animal friendly".  They don't shear the geese or ducks or whatever it comes from to get the down & feathers like they do with sheep.  It's probably like leather, a by-product of the meat industry.