Regular Contributor

Northern Nights Supima Towels?

OK, these look and sound fantastic, but that is a very low price for Supima cotton.  I'm skeptical about quality.  Does anyone know how well these towels hold up?  How absorbent they are?  My Dad is always complaining about towels that don't absorb water, and I thought I would try to get him some new ones for Christmas. 

Thanks in advance!

Honored Contributor

Re: Northern Nights Supima Towels?

If your dad's towels are not absorbing water does he use fabric softner on them?  They wont absorb water if he does.

Other than that I cant help you sorry.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@dal23 are you referring to the Northern Nights 6 piece towel set that was recently presented? if so, I can tell you the towels are nice but the price may be due to the number of towels you will receive

and like @Imaoldhippie said using fabric softener will cause Supima and Egyptian cotton to not absorb. I didn't know that fabric  softener caused towels not to absorb until a friend informed me.  I have purchased Northern Night Supima towels in the past but prefer the Egyptian cotton instead.

Regular Contributor

I think he's talking about when you first purchase the towels and they seem to shed water.  But I have read using vinegar can help, and I will tell my mom to try not to use dryer sheets on towels. He just says you can't get towels like you used to, and he's right. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dal23 wrote:

OK, these look and sound fantastic, but that is a very low price for Supima cotton.  I'm skeptical about quality.  Does anyone know how well these towels hold up?  How absorbent they are?  My Dad is always complaining about towels that don't absorb water, and I thought I would try to get him some new ones for Christmas. 

Thanks in advance!

@dal23 I don't know anything about Supima cotton; however, the low price for something that is supposed to be high quality (from what the presentation said when I was watching it) is probably due to the QVC buying power. They obviously buy in large quantities, and so that is probably the reason for the low price. That's one of the main reasons I like to shop on QVC.....their buying power allows me to get things from them that are less in price than I have seen in the regular stores in my area. Smiley Happy

I am eager to learn more about Supima, so will probably watch again today.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

when these were a TSV a couple years ago I bought 2 sets for a housewarming gift.  I used them while at my nieces house recently and they are still absorbent and look good.

I have issues with towels that claim to be "absorbent" and aren't good☹️.  I usually buy Royal Velvet Egyptian cotton when J.c. penney has them on sale & I have coupon.  Love these towels!

I buy white and bleach them every other washing & dry w/o dryer sheet.  They still are going strong 10 months later I replace my towels the beginning of the year (donate old ones to local SPCA).

Esteemed Contributor

I've never been extremely satisfied with N-N's products.  Kept some - returned some.  I stick with J C Penney for towels - the kind that has the 'loop' stitch....you can see how the yarn ? comes up from one side and loops back down.  The 'best' towels are usually first one shown on the towel screen - nice rich colors to choose from.  (flat cut yarn doesn't seem - to me - to absorb water as well)

Honored Contributor

My experience with NN towels are not good.

The ones I've had pick and pull after the first washing (alone and in cool water). They are big, lightweight fluff balls that don't absorb water when new or after several washings. 

I'm over the whole NN brand. Sheets no longer last, I've gotten better towels at Walmart and their once primo down blankets are thin and leak feathers daily.