Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Non-Conventional Craftsman Kitchen Update

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Nightowlz  See, now that's what I mean about a workhorse kitchen!  

The refrigerator (or space for it), sink and stove are in close proximity, saving steps back 'n forth. There's no table/island between them to block flow, but there is still plenty of countertop workspace. The lighting seems to be plentiful as well.  Drawers are said to be more efficient than shelves, giving better options for organization and easy reach.  

My two favorite features of your kitchen are your soffit solution (clever) and that wall of cabinets.  I let out a loud, "WOW!" when I scrolled down to it.  Lucky you! 

Thank you for sharing the photos.

@IamMrsG 

Wall to wall & floor to ceiling pantry. Finally lots of storage. The cabinet guy failed to make it to the ceiling as I asked. I told him that was a big fat No. I asked for all the way to the ceiling because I don't want a dust shelf. He was mad buy he fixed it. He said all I do is complain. I said I'm not complaining only asking for what we paid for.

No room for an island but we have plenty of counter space. DH likes the larger counter on the stove side is when he makes bread & has to roll it out.

There are plenty of flush mount lights in the kitchen. So bright I had to have dimmable. 

Just wish we could get it finished.

All I can say is at least we have a sink. We bought one of those white laundry sinks to use which is still on the back patio. I hated going outside or in one of the bathrooms to wash dishes. Even after we installed the sink I was still running our back. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I  like it but  it would be dark at night.   I don't see a lot of targeted lighting, except over the stove maybe.   I love a chandelier  but it  won't give off much light.    Also it would be dark over the sink & counters. I need light to work!

Honored Contributor

Though the windows strike me as 'Craftsman', for me, the overall vibe of the room isn't. I think it's a lovely kitchen. I like that it's light and bright and like the pale green color. There are things I'd change, but I find it a pleasant space.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I agree with most others, lose the rug and the chandelier.  One thought crossed my mind, no direct path between sink and range.  Like filling a heavy pot of water, then walking all the way around the island?

Valued Contributor

@caroln242  Wondering about the width of the island? 

Super Contributor

@HonestLife wrote:

@caroln242  Wondering about the width of the island? 

If you're inquiring about the Joanna Gaines kitchen, it seems like a fairly narrow island.  But she didn't have much space to work with.

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

To me this goes beyond being a 'galley' type kitchen. The room isn't inordinately wide, but when I think galley, I think more or less like a hallway. As for the distance from the sink to the stove, I'm wondering if there's a pot filler we aren't able to see. Even if there isn't, I'd simply set the pot on the island and then pick it up nearer the stove. I'd not opt to carry it around. I like the rather minimal island, the rug and the celling fixture. If that's the microwave built into the lower cabinets to the right of the sink, it's too low for practical use. As for the stove, impressive as it is, I'd have no use for such a cooker.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...