Honored Contributor

It's OK for a Formal Living Room that really isn't used much. 

It's a definite No for a large family or a house without a Family Room.

I think 1 and 3 are very well done..love the colors.

2 looks the most comfortable but the room looks dull and drab to me.

Honored Contributor

I think a sofa is the most significant piece of furniture in the room.  It sets the tone and is the anchor piece around all other pieces are positioned.  

It's not the focal point, though...like a fireplace or large window, for example.  

It's also the most comfortable piece, the one family likes to lounge on...watch TV or take a nap.  

A special sofa makes a statement depending on style and color.  It's also a different size from chairs that adds different dimensions to the room creating interest.  

The three photos with 4 chairs perfectly positioned aren't very functional to me.  What could be done in these rooms, besides entertaining a few guests, possibly, reading in one of the chairs that don't look all that comfortable to me?  This arrangement would not work in my house.  

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I thought this was considered a Sitting Room and the living room is somewhere else.  The only one I like is the one with the white oversized chairs.

@Katcat1 

Agree. Some older homes probably have separate sitting rooms & living rooms. 

Respected Contributor

Re: No Sofa Living Rooms

[ Edited ]

This post been interesting to read because of the term "living room." I believe geographic regions, age of the home, and age of the occupants have impacted the definition of a living room. I am old so I think of a living room as a formal space at the front of the house. The formal dining room is also at the front or at least separated from the kitchen and the family area. The area that is used the most by the family occupying the home is the family room which contains the cozy furniture and the tv. 

In our region a home that does not have formal areas has one large room referred to as the "great room" that is used for everything.  Most homes are ranch style on one level with no stairs. 

What are the dominant styles in your part of the country?

Honored Contributor

@DREAMON wrote:

It's OK for a Formal Living Room that really isn't used much. 

It's a definite No for a large family or a house without a Family Room.

I think 1 and 3 are very well done..love the colors.

2 looks the most comfortable but the room looks dull and drab to me.

@DREAMON @wilma I agree with Dreamon in the fact that if you have a large family, or you only have one space for watching television, this may not be as practical..... 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wilma 

1st pic - I very much like the style & color of the chairs.  This seating arrangement does seem to be more "chatting" friendly.  I agree about the pillows & ottoman print & accessories.  I'll take it a step further .. I'd replace the area rug & at least get rid of 2-3 of those open shelving units as I think they're overdone.

Thanks for posting this.

2nd pic - NOPE

3rd pic - I like most of it even though white isn't very practical.  But they are very pretty.  I'd get rid of the chandelier.  Windows are beautiful & I'd replace the pillows.

Trusted Contributor

That's my living room. We have sofas in our family room. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nice for an older home that has a parlor. I sometimes stretch out on the sofa when watching a movie so it wouldn't be practical in our ranch home.

Trusted Contributor

The first two pics look more like sitting rooms to me. I think a living room needs a sofa/couch in it..

Respected Contributor

I have a sofa in my living room and two sofas in my family room.....they are a must for me.