Honored Contributor

No Sofa Living Rooms

[ Edited ]

Have you seen living rooms without sofas? What do you think? 

I've spotted several living rooms without sofas online recently. Most have 4 chairs and an ottoman or table of some kind. I like the arrangement. It allows everyone to have their own seat instead of squishing together on a sofa. It also makes conversation easier IMO. Of course, there's only room for 4 people, but then a sofa with chair or love seat only seat that many comfortably anyway.

I wish I had thought of this before we bought our new sofa a couple of years ago. It's something I think I would like. 

Here are a few examples I found online. 

I don't like the print on the pillows or ottoman, but overall, I like the colors and furnishings. I'd also change the accessories on the mantel & the mirror above it. 

F3D4353A-C886-42F2-A80C-4EFE196D3FD0.jpeg

I love the warmth, homey, and comfy vibe of this space. I prefer a table over an ottoman, but this one looks like it might be a bit big for the space. I can see some knees getting bumped on it. I like the built-ins & fireplace but not the leaning artwork. 
5724208B-2C86-4566-A769-6865E5D3C09A.jpeg

I'm not crazy about the white slip covers, but I like the colorful pillows, table, fireplace, and the windows. Love the greenery but dislike the chandelier. 
E4F92C52-B8B0-4CFB-8DF3-C5BBC84A4589.jpeg

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I've seen sofa-less staged living rooms in model homes/condos that attempt to mask the lack of floor space.

I watch tv stretched out on the sofa so I won't be going this route anytime, soon. I have used 2 loveseats but missed my comfy sofa.

The pricetag for those 4 oversize chairs is likely double what a decent sofa will run.

Honored Contributor

@wilma   I would gladly live with that setup if I had more space than I do, however, I am not willing to live with no sofa anywhere in my home.

I could eliminate my dining room table and use the length of my great room as a living room, but I am not quite ready to try that.

Esteemed Contributor

While it's visually pleasing it would be totally impractical for me because there is not enough seating even for my family.  Of course the size of a space dictates the size and scale of the furniture.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I've seen sofa-less staged living rooms in model homes/condos that attempt to mask the lack of floor space.

I watch tv stretched out on the sofa so I won't be going this route anytime, soon. I have used 2 loveseats but missed my comfy sofa.

The pricetag for those 4 oversize chairs is likely double what a decent sofa will run.

@Snowpuppy 

Agree. We have a separate family room with sofas for TV watching so this would work for our living room. Yes, the cost of 4 chairs would be expensive. 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@wilma   I would gladly live with that setup if I had more space than I do, however, I am not willing to live with no sofa anywhere in my home.

I could eliminate my dining room table and use the length of my great room as a living room, but I am not quite ready to try that.

@millieshops 

We have a separate family room with a sofa so I guess that's why this appeals to me as something different. 

Respected Contributor

Re: No Sofa Living Rooms

[ Edited ]

@wilma  I have a friend who has this arrangement in her living room.  She has a couch in the family room which is open to the kitchen and the area of the house where they do most of their living. The living room performs like a parlor did back in the day. She does use the living room for reading, escaping from hustle and bustle, as well as receiving guests.

I do not like to sit on a couch. My living area has one but it is just a decorative accessory.  I much prefer my recliners that look like wing back chairs. We have Lazy Boy recliners in the game room where we watch tv.

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine has a similar situation as the photo with the white slipcovered chairs.  She also has couches in the room also.  I like it because the room is large enough to accomodate both seating arrangements.

Honored Contributor

Re: No Sofa Living Rooms

[ Edited ]

While I love my sofa, we just got new living room furniture in Sept of last year, I do love the look of these photos!!!! I can see the appeal, but I also love the idea of relaxing on the sofa watching a good movie......All 3 of the rooms are very relaxing looking and cozy and warm feeling to me.

Honored Contributor

I thought this was considered a Sitting Room and the living room is somewhere else.  The only one I like is the one with the white oversized chairs.

kindness is strength