Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear-----Hi--- did you like how you decorated before? Take a few of those ideas and play with them. Just do one area at a time, like your bedroom. Since its YOUR place--you can decorate however you like!! Your fave colors, your fave furnishings/pictures--all of it is your own choice----Pinterest is good; going to the local discount stores like TJ Maxx, Home Goods, even good will. Even go to furniture stores to look at the way they set up their rooms. what is it that makes you feel happy and content? Any friends to bounce things off of? Even arts and craft fairs are good as well as any of those types of stores. How about flea markets for inspiration? Take pics of the things you like too.could be outside at buildings or anywhere something catches your eye. 

Esteemed Contributor

@FlowerBearGood luck in your new place!  Start with your favorite color and work from there.  For me, blue is my favorite.  If I lived in a rental, since I have a beautiful blue sofa, I would get a pretty throw and a few pillows.  An nice area rug to go in front of it and/or under a table and a few flameless candles on timers to put around the room and throughout.  Get a plant that does not need much attention.  If you have a patio or deck, get a table and chairs, along with some greenery or something to add color.  That is where I would start.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

Why not start with pillows, throw pillows.  pick out a few in colors that catch your eye.  Set them in the living room, then carry them into the bed room, then just for insperation, take one color in the kitchen, walk out of the room, do something else, then walk back in and see if that color works in that room.  If that color was meant to be, you'll know.  I find the those little color swatches aren't big enough for me to commit.  good luck.  

Trusted Contributor

@FlowerBear : Wondering how long yiu've been in your new place with your new life. Do you think you may just to sit with things as they are now to get a feel for all this newness? It might take time to adjust and gradually see how you want to have your new home and surroundings and life to feel?

This maybe and adjustment period for you.

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear 

Are you buying furniture?  Maybe the outlet you’re buying from

has a stylist to put things together for you. 

Honored Contributor

It does not matter what goes with what.  Decorate with what you like.  I suggest like others look at pictures, pinterst is really a good source.  Dont be in a hurry, decide what YOU want and like.  Dont fret about it.  Have fun and good luck

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I have been in my new place around 8 months and still feel like I cant make a decision about anything.

I never really did what you call decorating before. It was when I was married and we got things given to us for floors, walls and also furniture. So we used those things and we liked it ha.

I have some new furniture pieces that I bought when I moved in. But I have a hard time deciding on anything to put on the walls.

A while ago here, I talked about the area rug a friend was going to give me and hadnt after months and decided to get my own, after reading here all the good thoughts about it.

But here I am without having gotten that rug! I have looked but afraid to make the choice. I know. I am silly and should just go and decide.

Maybe soon I will have  some ideas in mind and can actually purchase. I am going to check the sites for ideas and pinterest too.

Thank you all!!!Heart

Honored Contributor

Take one of the zillions of "What's My Decorating STyle" quizzes on line.  Find out your style or styles.  Then look those styles up on line (join Pinterest for ideas too) and learn what you really like.  Then you can shop with purpose.

If all else fails, hire a decorator.

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear 

If you feel comfortable, can you do the following...?

• Start with the room that you feel needs the most work.
  • Take a picture of that room, with approximate dimensions.
  • Post it here, and then people can help you based on what you have started with.

If you don't feel comfortable, can you find your favorite item in the house and show us that one item, or using that item find colors/patterns that you can pull from it for the rest of the room?

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear   Go with what you like.  Buy those tabs for pictures (Command) that do not harm and take a picture that you think will look good on the wall and hold it up and step back a little and see if you like it.  If so, then hang it.  As far as colors, I am more of a tan/off white with touches of green in the living room.  I like colors that are soothing but you can always bring in one bold color in a pillow or throw.  I am in an appt. too and my walls are all off white.  I did paint one wall behind the sink in the kitchen a little darker color sort of a light/medium shade of taupe.    Have fun.

kindness is strength