Valued Contributor

Re: Nice smelling home...

[ Edited ]

@bonnie f wrote:

Who else likes a nice smelling home? .. right now i'm burning 2 candles love my bath & body works candles.. also i love my reed diffusers from Pier One.. I'm addicted to them both.. also i love spraying Febreeze... I just love a nice clean smell... I live on the 3rd floor in an apartment.. the lady downstairs always tells me when she's in the hallway near my door it always smells so good...

I love the Asian Spice scent from Pier 1 but they no longer offer the reed diffuser in this scent.  I did purchase some of the spray scent and hope to receive it soon.  Asian Spice is my all-time favorite scent from Pier 1.   I do air out my home often, even in the winter time.

Valued Contributor

Re: Nice smeling home...

[ Edited ]

Years ago, I was attempting to weatherproof my elderly mother's old  home by putting weatherstripping around the doors and windows.  My extrememly intelligent mother told me that I didn't need to close up everything so tightly. "Fresh air is a necessity and everything thing works better with fresh air" she said..   True, so true.  I think of her wisdom often and am thankful that I learned to soak it up.

Honored Contributor

@bonnie f   I burn essential oils or use a diffuser for them but I agree that a nice smelling home makes you want to be in.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I use scented candles but dont like air freshner sprays!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I love a nice smelling house too!  I stumbled upon some easy recipes for simmering on the stove to scent the whole house.  The blogger at A Perfect Abode recommended them for naturally scenting your house.  And they do permeate beyond the kitchen!

Have tried one,  simmering apple core or slices, cloves, cinnamon and vanilla in water to cover.  It is heavenly, and even overcame the spicy fragrance beans and rice that I made for supper.  Hubby mentioned the nice smell as soon as he came in the house (without being prompted, ha).   

Honored Contributor

I prefer just a house that has no noticeable odor. Nothing bad going on, no smelly people or pets.  Just a clean house and clean inhabitants.

Honored Contributor

I'm obsessive about smells in the house. Most of the year I have windows open all day, but even in the winter I open them for a while in the morning.  

The first thing I do when making the bed in the morning is open the windows, light a candle and let the ceiling fan spread the scent around the room for a half hour or so.  The smell of a stale bedroom is awful, in my opinion.

I have ceiling fans in every room but the kitchen.  In my last house we had a whole house fan in the attic and I would run it every night after dinner to get rid of the cooking smells.  

I don't know why I'm so obsessive about it - probably because I have such a sensitive sniffer.  DH says I could get a job sniffing for drugs at the airport, lol.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Beware of candles from China, Vietnam and Dominican Republic.  Everyone should be sure to check labels and purchase only SOY candles made in the USA. 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I'm obsessive about smells in the house. Most of the year I have windows open all day, but even in the winter I open them for a while in the morning.  

The first thing I do when making the bed in the morning is open the windows, light a candle and let the ceiling fan spread the scent around the room for a half hour or so.  The smell of a stale bedroom is awful, in my opinion.

I have ceiling fans in every room but the kitchen.  In my last house we had a whole house fan in the attic and I would run it every night after dinner to get rid of the cooking smells.  

I don't know why I'm so obsessive about it - probably because I have such a sensitive sniffer.  DH says I could get a job sniffing for drugs at the airport, lol.

@house_cat I immediately suspect two things:  You don't live in Oklahoma and you don't suffer from allergies.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

No, I don't live in OK, I live in NC and we have plenty of bugs.  We have screens on the winows, but there are still some teensy-tiny ones that sneak in.

I do have allergies for which I take meds nightly.  It doesn't seem to matter whether or not the windows are open. There are some scents I need to keep away from because they trigger migraines.

~ house cat ~