Honored Contributor

Blast from outa the past: Hide the TV.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

Reminds me of the days when television sets were piieces of furniture - large pieces of furniture!   Giant wood cabinet with doors. 

A couple of years ago, a friend's "giant console TV" died and he went to buy a new one.  He had no idea that they didn't make those kinds of TVs anymore.  

He wanted to keep the big piece of furniture - so I convinced him to buy a new TV and have a carpenter come and alter his console to fit the flat screen.

He actually followed my advice!  Got the TV, had the furniture remodeled.  He was happy with the results.

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN 

I don't like the look of a TV above fireplaces or hanging on a wall.

I want my TV at eye level when I'm sitting.  I'm usually reading or knitting while watching TV - and I don't have to move my head to watch.  Simply look over my book or knitting needles.

--------------------------------------------

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

(snip)

2nd of all, I am not sure that I like tv's above fireplaces, because they always seem too high up..Now this picture is a nice big room, so its not too bad, but if your room is smaller, to me it would feel like you are having to look up to watch! But maybe not!  

Honored Contributor

I like it , very warm feeling ,you watch tv with the fireplace on makes it even more cozy,no drapes like the windows not dressed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand the point of hiding the TV.  To me the shelving on both sides are far more clutter than a single TV.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don’t like barn door styling on anything other than barns, so I don’t like this. I actually like most of the rest of the room except the printed sofa. I don’t see the need to hide a TV and would never do that. 

Honored Contributor

I think a nice modern big tv would look way better than the silly looking folding doors up there.  

Honored Contributor

Just took another look .... do you see the distance between the TV and the sofa?

You need binoculars to watch!

Living room - farmhouse living room idea in New York with a standard fireplace, a stone fireplace and gray walls

The two chairs are facing each other, not the TV.

And - with all those windows - wouldn't there be a lot of glare on the screen?

Honored Contributor

If that is a wood burning fireplace, those white doors will eventually be smoked up.  

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

If that is a wood burning fireplace, those white doors will eventually be smoked up.  

That's something I hadn't thought about.  Good point!