Esteemed Contributor

Great idea ... I really like it 😉

Honored Contributor

First, I love this room. 

Second, I can live with the tv this way. 

I have posted before, that I HATE at tv above a fireplace. It simply destroys a room for me. 

But this way of hiding it, makes it a livable solution for me, if there is no other place to put a television. I like that it actually leads you to believe there isn't even one in the room. 

I don't keep a tv in our formal living room. Hope I never have to go back to doing so. If I did, something like this would be a must for me. 

Respected Contributor

I do like a living room where the TV is not the most prominent feature. To make this work for viewing either the doors have to fold back flat or open and then slide back on a track. Folding flat would not look right covering the windows. I don’t see how anyone ousing the side chairs would see the TV unless they moved the chair or twisted their body. Maybe I’m missing something. Regardless, I cannot view TV with my neck tilted back so this is not in my design future. 

Honored Contributor

I like this room - very inviting!  Is the t.v. behind the doors above the fireplace?  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Several issues with this set up:

1. TV viewing has got to be a problem: best seating is the sofa and it is too far away for normal sighted folks.

2. TV placement so high that the neck will start to hurt from looking up at that angle

3. The " barn " doors will be constantly opened and closed for regular family viewing 

4. Just how do the windows atop the bookcase get opened ?  The side latches would require a ladder to get to them.

5. Windows: How to clean them and everything in front of them that will have light making their rustiness readily apparent.

6. Opposing bench seats: I wouldn't like to sit on them.  Look very uncomfortable.

I guess this is another for display only piece in a design class.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I don't understand why the fireplace is hidden. confused.gif

decorative screens for the fireplace are very popular when it is off-season for a fire. In this instance you can tell it's at least summertime.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of hiding the tv because I'd probably leave the doors to it open all the time which I think would look worse.

Honored Contributor

First off, I never understood why the need to hide your television? They are not eyesores, and who cares if someone can see it? 

2nd of all, I am not sure that I like tv's above fireplaces, because they always seem too high up..Now this picture is a nice big room, so its not too bad, but if your room is smaller, to me it would feel like you are having to look up to watch! But maybe not!  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

First, I love this room. 

Second, I can live with the tv this way. 

I have posted before, that I HATE at tv above a fireplace. It simply destroys a room for me. 

But this way of hiding it, makes it a livable solution for me, if there is no other place to put a television. I like that it actually leads you to believe there isn't even one in the room. 

I don't keep a tv in our formal living room. Hope I never have to go back to doing so. If I did, something like this would be a must for me. 

I'm glad you like the room....I like it a lot, too.  I don't love every room I post, but this one is very much my taste.   Really, I could do away with the tv in that room but DH wants to keep one there. I understand why he wants to keep it.  The reason behind it makes since so I decided to keep my mouth shut........................................................

at least on this subject, that is!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Nice Way To Hide The TV

[ Edited ]

This is a pleasant room though it probably goes without saying there are changes I'd make, the first being to add window coverings. As for hiding the TV, yes, this is an attractive way to do so and I've seen it done before both in pictures and in homes. The problem for me is I don't want a TV above my fireplace so this notion is a non-starter.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...