Honored Contributor

Recently, I've replaced several lamps in our house with new ones. 

I didn't shop around a lot. I found some at Pottery Barn that I liked, bought a few different styles for different rooms. My final lamp was shipped to us yesterday. 

I noticed that that none of the lamps allowed for a 3 way bulb. Like the old 50-100-150, etc. 

They all just take a 60 watt bulb or maybe 100 on one of them. Is that a new thing?

For the most part, we're still using up our old incandescent light bulbs and all of a sudden, I have bulbs and no lamps to put them in.  There are no lamps in our house that take the old three way bulbs. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

You can replace the socket in the lamp with a 3-way socket.  Some hardware stores have a fee and they will do this service for you. There are some repair shops that also do this. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't purchased a lamp in forever, so I don't know.

Most of my lamps accomodate a 3-way.

Changing your socket is relatively easy.

@gidgetgh wrote:

Recently, I've replaced several lamps in our house with new ones. 

I didn't shop around a lot. I found some at Pottery Barn that I liked, bought a few different styles for different rooms. My final lamp was shipped to us yesterday. 

I noticed that that none of the lamps allowed for a 3 way bulb. Like the old 50-100-150, etc. 

They all just take a 60 watt bulb or maybe 100 on one of them. Is that a new thing?

For the most part, we're still using up our old incandescent light bulbs and all of a sudden, I have bulbs and no lamps to put them in.  There are no lamps in our house that take the old three way bulbs. 

Esteemed Contributor

I won't buy a lamp unless it's a 3 way because I like low light level.  I find them by - Google - 3 way lamps.  There are several websites.

Honored Contributor

I agree that you can have them fitted with the three way switches, but it will cost. 

I have smaller accent lamps and Tiffany style lamps that I don't care to have over 60 watts for the effect, but I need several three way lamps in my bigger rooms (living and family) to provide enough light in the dark of winter. 

Honored Contributor
Are 3-way bulbs being phased out then? If so, I need to buy a bunch.
"To each their own, in all things".
Contributor

I just purchased a couple of three way bulbs at Lowe's. I have a floor lamp I love that was given to me!

Respected Contributor

I hope they're not phasing them out.   

I'm obsessed with 3-way bulbs and dimmer switches.  

Honored Contributor

For most common lamps, changing the socket is a DYI project.

For an antique lamp or some specialized lamp, maybe not.

I repaired my washing machine by watching youtube videos.

@Mominohio wrote:

I agree that you can have them fitted with the three way switches, but it will cost. 

I have smaller accent lamps and Tiffany style lamps that I don't care to have over 60 watts for the effect, but I need several three way lamps in my bigger rooms (living and family) to provide enough light in the dark of winter. 

Respected Contributor

DH just replaced a socket in a floor lamp for me. I love my three way lamps too, and it just took him a few minutes. I swear I read somewhere that three way bulbs are NOT being phased out.