Super Contributor

New York for Christmas

[ Edited ]

I'm planning a Christmas Vacation in New york. Any recommended hotels within most tourist attractions? Must see items? Thanks for any thoughts!

Trusted Contributor

You should see the Tree at Rockefeller Center, as well as the window displays of the Flagship stores like Macy's, Lord & Taylor, Saks &  Bergdorfs.

You might want to check out Bryant Park, behind the Library.  There is an ice skating rink  as well as a Christmas Market with quite a few kiosks  with many different things for sale.

Many things to see, like the ones I mentioned, are free.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Liz123 wrote:

I'm planning a Christmas Vacation in New york. Any recommended hotels within most tourist attractions? Must see items? Thanks for any thoughts!

Radio City Christmas Show --- you will never forget it. Don't know when you are going, you can purchase tickets for the dress rehearsal (which is the same exact show) excellent seats for $100. normally $400. American Girl doll shop is wonderful and they have a very good restaurant upstairs. You will have a great time...enjoy.

Respected Contributor

Make sure you save room for dinner at either Carmine's or Tony Di Napoli's. It's the best Italian food!  Both have locations in midtown near Rockefeller Plaza where the famous Christmas tree is located.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Contributor

Grand Central Station. Right after Thanksgiving in the Vanderbilt Hall area of Grand Central are popup boutique shops with one of a kind gifts. Also walk around Grand Central, there is the Market, the model train exhibit near the station masters waiting area. Go down to the food court and experience the whisper gallery. You can find a map and more info at grand central terminal website. Have a wonderful time with your family! NY is magical, especially that time of the year!

Trusted Contributor
New York is a large state with many tourist attractions. Are you referring to New York City?
Super Contributor

I stayed at the Hyatt at Grand Central.  It was great.  We could walk to most everything and we were right at the subway center when we wanted to take the train downown.  I would highy recommend seeing the Rocketts Christmas Spectacular.  It is so wonderful, especially the living Nativity at the end - my favorite part.  After seeing that you exit into the street and into a Christmas wonderland with all of the decorations on the buildings and the store windows.  Just fabulous.  If you can get in to see a Broadway show as well I would highly recommend.  I am so excited for you.

Respected Contributor
The Doubletree at Times Square is a very good, reasonably priced hotel. They are very good about storing your luggage if you arrive too early to get in your room or if you need to check out but still have time in the city. They have a mini kitchen.
The Empire State Building after dark is well worth a visit - beautiful views of the lights of the city. Enjoy!
Honored Contributor

Manhattan get crazy busy with tourists at Christmas what ever you want to do start planning and don't wait to book your hotel

An interesting tour is the Art History tour of Rockefeller Center you need tix. and there is the NBC Tour and the Top of the Rock I have taken both the art and NBC ones.  There also maybe some kind of tour at St. Patricks but I am guessing

tons of Museums, If you saw the movie Woman In Gold be sure to go the Neue Galerie

Theater Tix if there is a show you want think about it now, you could take a chance at the TKTS booth but that is day of show.

WTC site again you may need tix or reserve a spot, One World Trade Observation is now open

Regular Contributor

I loved the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Show and their backstage tour!  There will be CROWDS! The Toys R Us store had a ferris wheel in the middle of the store that was fun to watch.  People were lined up about 5 columns from the stores and lined up multple blocks to get in the store.  I was walking several times with 12 people abreast!