Honored Contributor

Re: New Season of Fixer Upper...

On 1/15/2015 MJ 12 said:

I didn't even catch that, I knew what you meant lol.

You have to catch up with this season!

Smiley Happy

Maybe tonight, MJ.

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2015 MJ 12 said:

Actually, Fixer Upper usually always addresses the major mechanical issues they run into when they start gutting a house - which the new owners have to absorb. Like all new HVAC, roofing, major foundation issues. Many times the new owners might have to do without a cosmetic upgrade in order to address the more inportant structural issues.

This is exactly my point - why wouldn't the cost of "rehabing" these obvious items be built into the original budget? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know if the roof or foundation are bad or if the furnace/AC don't work. And it certainly doesn't take a genius to know a house that is 100 years old has knob and tube wiring and old - useless plumbing and needs insulated.I would feel the 'expertise" of someone who did not know this stuff up front as highly questionable.

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2015 happy housewife said:
On 1/15/2015 MJ 12 said:

Actually, Fixer Upper usually always addresses the major mechanical issues they run into when they start gutting a house - which the new owners have to absorb. Like all new HVAC, roofing, major foundation issues. Many times the new owners might have to do without a cosmetic upgrade in order to address the more inportant structural issues.

This is exactly my point - why wouldn't the cost of "rehabing" these obvious items be built into the original budget? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know if the roof or foundation are bad or if the furnace/AC don't work. And it certainly doesn't take a genius to know a house that is 100 years old has knob and tube wiring and old - useless plumbing and needs insulated.I would feel the 'expertise" of someone who did not know this stuff up front as highly questionable.

They do budget for those issues.

There are issues that come up that no one could possibly have foreseen. Either the homeowners kick in more money or they take away money from the decorating budget.

Honored Contributor

On 1/6/2015 jackthebear said:

Fun show, but I noticed they never put a TV in any of the rooms and the style is pretty much all the same in every house.

Seems to me the style of ALL the shows on HGTV is essentially very similar, and it's rarely a style I really like... I truly wish they'd go back to having at least a few decorating shows instead of all the real estate, flipping and rehabbing... Were they to do so, which I doubt they will, it'd be even nicer if they'd offer a variety of styles and not such a hefty reliance on 'repurposed-contempo-shabby chic', as I call it... I'd also note that not everybody is interested in DIY, 'open concept', stainless steel and granite... I also have absolutely no desire for my kitchen to look like a 'restaurant style' kitchen.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

I watched several episodes of Fixer-Upper plus the season premier. I'm new to these kind of shows. My husband and I have been looking at buying another home, moving from our home built just after WW2 but in good shape because my husband has lived here all his life, first with his parents then buying the house from them and living here as a adult. We found a house built in 1967 that we could see doing upgrades/remodeling and be really nice. But the home inspection showed more electrical and plumbing problems that we planned on. Plus we know the house had a big tree fall on it during one of our hurricanes (we live in Texas on the coastline) and the repairs are shoddy at best (we had many "contractor" crews descend like carpetbaggers after this hurricane. They were awful repairmen). Sadly, to do the further repairs we now know it needs would eat up the money we planned for remodel. We don't have 35-50 thousand for remodeling like most of the couples on these shows seem to have. So we are probably going to have to walk away from this house and look for another, perhaps younger, home that doesn't need as much work.