Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Kitchen Window Blinds

I always purchase the Levolar top down/bottom up cellular shades. Just love not having cords.

Respected Contributor

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

@panda1234 check out blinds dot com. They have solar shades with different levels of opacity. They have videos that show what you can see from the inside out and outside in. 

I was looking at these for one of my bedrooms where privacy isn't an issue. BD is at the back of the house on a very wooded lot. 

@LilLadyNJ  thanks for the info, will check it out.

Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35, I have 2 sliding glass doors with the blinds in between the glass and I love them. We've had them for about 10 years and have never had a mishap with them. I love the look, but we really bought them because a favorite family cat (Spuds) had a nasty habit of batting the blinds during human sleeping hours (his prowling the house hours). We needed new sliding glass doors, so the built-in blinds worked perfectly for us!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 , love minimalist window coverings that are easy to use.  I have silhouette blinds and plantation shutters.  So much easier than drapes/curtains.  Enjoy!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 , I have the ones you can see out but no one can see in.  Mine were called Silhouette.  LM

Respected Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

@jannabelle1   I'd be curious to know what your experience will be with the cordless blinds. I have Levalor custom wooden cordless blinds on my front windows. The windows are tall, and I thought cordless was the perfect solution. However they are a huge PITA.  The mechanism constantly disengages and I can't raise them without doing all sorts of maneuvers. 

I ordered them for the rest of the house, the following year, and went with the cords. 

I have to agree!  I think the cordless blinds are only a good option for very small windows.  

We just bought a new home and it had cellular shades but I did not like the idea that you can not control the light they are either up or down.  So I replaced them cordless blinds and LUCKY for me due to a manufacturing problem all but one room arrived cordless the others arrived with cords.  The cordless ones are a PITA. And we rarely adjust them!

I will replace them with the traditional corded ones ASAP!

The rest of the windows are plantation shutters.

Super Contributor

Hunter Douglas -Silhouttes

Esteemed Contributor

Just an update since several of you mentioned you'd like to hear what my experience is with the cordless blinds. They've been up for a month and I open/close the blinds more than I raise/lower them (I don't raise them more than once or twice a week). I've had no problems at all with them and am still very happy with them. My kitchen window is 58" wide x 40" long, so it's definitely not similar to some of the large windows in the newer homes. I just prefer the look without the cords.

Valued Contributor

@teachergal wrote:

Hunter Douglas -Silhouttes

I have these in my home and I love them!