Respected Contributor

When we built our house in the 80's, we went with honey oak. We redid the kitchen in 2013 and, since we removed the wall between the kitchen and dining room, chose a medium stain on the new oak cabinets to blend with the oak dining room furniture. We both love the "look" of oak, but didn't like that old honey color. The island is painted a pretty green color, with a dark granite. I didn't want dark granite countertops though, and chose a color called "Typhoon Bordeaux" which has a light background with veining, speckles, and "splashes" of bordeaux, black, and browns.

Regular Contributor

To each his own with kitchen cabinetry.  I personally have never liked a white kitchen - it reminds me of my grandmother's house with the painted white cabinetry.  In my eyes, painted white, or pretty much any kind of white trim (baseboards, door casings, etc.) makes me think "cheap", something you don't get with stained woodwork.  It's a personal thing.

I have seen a few antique white/off white kitchens that I thought were attractive, just not for me.  It is all in the eyes of the beholder, and what goes around will come back around...in time.

Just choose a quality product in what YOU like...not what the salesperson or someone else tries to tell you.  YOU will have to live and love with whatever you decide.

Good Luck!

Frequent Contributor

We finished our kitchen remodel after 12 weeks (a 25th wedding anniversary present from the husband).  Here's a before and after. We did hire a contractor, but like @RedTop mentioned, Lowes is expensive.  Don't get me wrong, we paid a pretty penny as well, but we now have a lot of cabinets and a much larger kitchen. We did a complete overhaul from lighting, cabinets, quartz countertops, flooring, baseboards, painting, disposal, faucet, [free] sink as well as removing the popcorn ceiling.  Cabinets, styles, colors are all a personal choice.  Research and choose what you like and you will be thrilled with the final product.  I found the pendant lights on line because I couldn't find anything I loved at my local stores.  Same with the cabinet hardware.  Cheers to your new adventure.  Mine was well worth it.

20150924_060656.jpg

20151120_160332.jpg

Honored Contributor

@fashionqueen Your kitchen makeover is beautiful.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@fashionqueen Your kitchen makeover is beautiful.

I'll second that!