Honored Contributor

We replaced our exterior lights.

Our old lights looked fine when we moved here in 1999, but they were looking dirty, dingy, and old. I tried to clean them, but that didn't work. I also debated painting them, but one had a missing piece of glass, and the lamp post fixture was wobbly. In the end, we opted for new ones. 

As usual, home projects are never as easy as you think. 😱

The mounting bolts on the new lights we purchased were way too long so there was no way to secure the lights to our brick. DH tried to cut the bolts shorter, but that wasn't successful. He went to 2 big box home stores and a smaller hardware store, but none of them carried the bolt size we needed. He finally found the right size at a local industrial supply hardware warehouse, but he had to buy 100 of them! 

I painted the mailbox & and lamp post black since our new light fixtures were black. I also painted our house numbers black & bought a new door mat. I'm very pleased with how everything looks now so I guess it was worth some aggravation. 

One of our old lights
031E3148-2480-44FD-9088-E82CE863B91F.jpeg

One of the new lights

A15FA2F9-07B4-4FA1-8D32-D6290ED6B35D.jpeg

Front porch 
IMG_7839.jpg

IMG_7882.jpg

Respected Contributor

Nice.  Your old one looks just like mine. I've been thinking of changing them out, too.  They've been there since 1985. 

Super Contributor

Your finished project looks great.  It proves the fact that sometimes very little effort and expense can completely change an area from old and dated to new and updated.

Honored Contributor

Makes a big difference..looks great.

Honored Contributor

LOVE the black!  Good looking lamps!  Love the front door too!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@wilma 

Your new lights are very nice.  I light the black & silver colors a lot.  Your porch/entrance way is very pretty & updated.  

We need to update ours as well.  We updated our back door & storm door last fall.  Still need to dupdate the front door which I wanted done at the same time .. should not have listened to DH.  He said he'd sand & repaint the wood door to match the back door.  Hasn't happened  Woman Mad

We need to have another conversation about it & soon!

Esteemed Contributor

Much better!  Our old house had outside lights just like your old ones.  And they ended up looking as bad as  yours did.  Good job on the redo!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Looking good!!!!! 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Those are nice and matches all the other black you have on your house.

Trusted Contributor

Porch and new lights look very nice.

And I love your azaleas.