Trusted Contributor

Need to decide on paint color for LR and stairway

We have a cathedral ceiling. Looking for a neutral with some color.  We will be changing carpet to match paint color. Pls. Share what you enjoy.

Respected Contributor

Re: Need to decide on paint color for LR and stairway

[ Edited ]

I like a calming blue green in muted shades with an antique white that isn't stark but calming to the eye. Spa colors. A light grey would be great for the carpet to be neutral and calming. I would do one or two of the walls in the color and the rest in the white, or paint the ceiling the color and the walls in the white to open up the ceiling even more. A colored ceiling with some color brought down on to the walls carries the eye up to make the space seem larger and airy feeling.

Don't forget about carpet tiles instead of wall to wall.  Carpet tiles can mix the colors you like to create all kinds of different looks and be easily replaced when they get stains that can't be removed.  I nice texture that is subtle would also be great!

Trusted Contributor

The color I am leaning towards is Behr Almond Wisp. It is in the grey family. I was wondering if anyone could share the name of their color. My husband wants me to decide by Monday. I have samples painted all over my room. I am looking into low textured carpet. 

Esteemed Contributor

We're in the market to purchase so know that we'll be doing lots of painting once we find a place.  To that end, went to Lowe's and found the HGTV paint section, which has a number of great fold open, eye-candy paint color recommendations.  They're not just single colors: they're matched up in 2s, 3s and so on.  Grabbed them all, plus some singles.  Have already selected some favorites.  Highly recommend the HGTV "folders."

Esteemed Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

I like a calming blue green in muted shades with an antique white that isn't stark but calming to the eye. Spa colors. A light grey would be great for the carpet to be neutral and calming. I would do one or two of the walls in the color and the rest in the white, or paint the ceiling the color and the walls in the white to open up the ceiling even more. A colored ceiling with some color brought down on to the walls carries the eye up to make the space seem larger and airy feeling.

Don't forget about carpet tiles instead of wall to wall.  Carpet tiles can mix the colors you like to create all kinds of different looks and be easily replaced when they get stains that can't be removed.  I nice texture that is subtle would also be great!

Interesting!...How do these work?...I'm wondering how carpet tiles would be placed on top of padding?

OP...There are so many shades of beautiful grays and it seems that grays have become a very popular neutral color for walls!...It is always exciting to do a complete room makeover!...Enjoy!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

The individual tiles are padded, so the whole tile is one complete product. The tiles are super easy to install, come in many different patterns and materials, can easily be replaced if needed for kids, pets or messy adults (they can even be taken outside, hosed down and dried if need be), you can create your own color and pattern to match your mood or decor, and are cheap enough to change as you change your decor (if you do that often). They are also DIY friendly for people who want to do it themselves and save some money. All you need are carpet knives, measuring tape, straight edge, and knee pads! You can't tell their tiles unless you use different colors to create a pattern or built in area rug affect to define spaces or mood.
Respected Contributor

This is a nice pallet with Almond Wisp.
http://www.behr.com/consumer/PaletteDetailView/PPU12-10,PPU5-12,PPU13-05,PPU13-17

I also like Serene Breeze with the Almond Mist as an accent wall.
Respected Contributor

I also like Aqua Rapids for a darker version for an accent wall.  On their website you can select the colors and see them in a room on the walls and ceilings.  It is a cool way of looking at painting one wall or several or just the ceiling a color and the walls another.  Try it out and see if you like it.

http://www.behr.com/consumer/colors/paint#paint

Esteemed Contributor

tigriss...Glad you saw my post tonight!...We will be replacing the carpet in our den area and your post about the carpet tiles caught my attention...I will have to check them out when I go to the carpet store...Do you have them in your home?...If they are easily replaceable, how are they attached to the floor?

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

I helped my parents put it in their river house, basically in the large open living/dining/bed room areas. They were super easy. We just made the plum line down the center of the rooms, and laid the tiles from that line to the edges where we cut the tiles to fit with the cut edge on the wall. My dad did it a certain way that I can't remember right now, but the store can help show you if you are laying them. We got them at Lowe's to replace the super old cut shag in burnt orange! The new ones were a nice plush oatmeal tones, not one constant color but tones of oatmeal. They have held up, even when the kids spilling things. We took it out side, hosed it off and let the sun dry it. A quick fix to a potential horrible problem. The tiles would also be great with pets.