Respected Contributor

Re: Need to Purchase Blinds for 13 Windows!

Depending on the brand, size, style, color, and features the price of $700 is certainly believable. I was just yesterday looking at prices to replace the blind in a seldom used bathroom. In the style I wanted, in white and only 23" x 48", the price was around $400. That wasn't even the coreless style or a top brand.

Respected Contributor

@Etoile308 , you are correct.  Window coverings can be very expensive especially if you have large windows as I do.  We have very good quality blinds and plantation shutters.  They are 16 years old and look like they are new.  I expect these to last many more years.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're  a member of Costco try them. We did 13 windows with plantation shutters a few years ago and they were much more reasonable than any other place. I wouldn't buy anything from an ad on Facebook without making sure they were licensed, bonded,  and insured and check with the BBB. 

Valued Contributor

Guess I don't live in a world where paying even 400 for a window blind is reality or a "good deal" to me. Even if I had 100 million in the bank!!

You get what you pay for of course, but you can also be ripped off by unscrupulous businesses, ESPECIALLY in home construction and decorating! For a 23 x 48 window there is NO way I would be paying that for a cheap blind (even including installing), and as you mentioned it was a no name brand. And yes larger windows are more, but I'm still not paying that. I would expect wooden plantation shutters to be more than blinds obviously, but I never researched those so have no idea on cost.

But we all have different things we are willing to spend money on & certainly different parts of the country cost more/less too! I'm smack dab in suburbia within 1-3 hrs of some of the largest cities in the country.
Respected Contributor

In my old house I had 2 companies come out for an estimate on shutters.  One was Costco and the other something similar along the lines of Budget Blinds but that's not what they were called.  Costco was a little difficult to get scheduled and to make contact with, a lot of messages left.  They ended up to be very expensive.  I ended up going with the othe company and was very pleased with the end product.  In my new house that I live in now, I had 2 companies come out.  Found them just by researching and recommendations.  This was for shades in the kitchen.  I have 4 very large windows (66 in x 53 in), 2 glass doors and a large kitchen window over the sink that gets direct sun most of the day.  Yes, they do have to come out and measure but I found it helpful to go to their store too.  The samples they bring are limited and what they have in the store and what they can show you is so much more.

Respected Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict, trust me there is no way I plan to spend that much on that window. I haven't looked a JC Penney in ages so I may see what they have online.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop 

I had 16 windows that had metal mini blinds (original to home 1997) and I asked people who they recommended.

I used a local blind company family owned the price was reasonable but more importantly, they measured, made them on site and installed.  

The whole experience was great, I just called them for the Hunter Douglas luminara blinds I want to put on my back sliders (I have no walls) now that I haven't any pets.

Good luck but I will warn you -- sticker shot might happen😉😉😉

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

We moved into our home about 8 years ago.  It has a 4-season room that was added on to it probably about 25 years ago.  I'm thinking that the blinds may be the original blinds that the previous owners had installed when the room was built.  They still look nice, but due to age things are getting brittle and breaking.  I took one blind in for repair last year and it cost about $100 to repair.  Today 2 more blinds broke, so I guess it's time to just get new ones.

I will need to replace blinds for 13 windows!  I've never purchased blinds before and don't even know where to start.  Do you have any recommendations as to who I should contact?

I did see on the Facebook page for our town that there is a company in town that is owned by a husband and wife and they do everything.  They come to your house to sell the blinds and they also do the installation.  They have lots of wonderful reviews, so I may give them a try. 

Are there any large chains like Home Depot, Eddie Z Blinds, etc. that you've tried and recommend?

Thank you!

@BunSnoop I can't make a recommendation, but just want to comment that this reminds me of the house we lived in when we were in NJ.  The sun room had a lot of windows and I purchased pleated shades from Sears at the time.  I loved that room and wish I had something like it in our current home....good luck with finding some good window coverings.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought a home that needed blinds throughout; I purchased wooden blinds online and had the 15 year old son of a friend install them ( DH supervised; he was recovering from major surgery).  More recently, I had to have several wooden blinds replaced in my current home.  Bought them at Lowes ( they cut them to size there) and had my handyman install ( I have oversized windows and blinds plus installation were $150 per window).  It all depends on what you want, I've seen blinds at Lowes for $1500 per window!

Respected Contributor

good luck with that! I remodeled my house in 2003 and had to replace EIGHTEEN windows.