Honored Contributor

Re: Need to Purchase Blinds for 13 Windows!

@BunSnoopWe purchased vinyl blinds from menards for our patio there are 14 windows.  Menards had vinyl blinds the exact width we needed.  My husband and I installed them.  They work perfect for our patio.  This is a 3 season room and is not as clean as a room inside the house...your room is 4 season so it might be cleaner than ours...+we have no air conditioning and the windows are open most days, it does get dirty/dusty.

I am not a huge fan of vinyl blinds but there is no way I would purchase a more expensive style for a 3 season room.  The windows are large and it would have cost a fortune.  

I do know that Blinds.com will send someone to your home, I think thru Menards, but not sure, to measure and install their blinds.  My friend moved to an new home and for  $200.00 they measured and installed, I thought it was a great deal. Take a look on their website

Trusted Contributor

UPDATE:  We're not too handy with home projects, so we'll have to leave it to the professionals.

I contacted the 1st company located in our town.  Wanted to give business to the local folks; however, I filled out the contact information on their web-site and after 2 days never heard from them.  Then I called and after 1 day of still no return phone call I called another company. 

The 2nd company is not located in our town, but it's a family business and has tons and tons of excellent reviews.  I left a message with them and the call was returned in 45 minutes.  The gentleman was very nice and is coming out to our home for an estimate Wednesday. 

The following day the 1st company called and left a message on our answering maching. I did not call them back - as they say - it's the early bird that get's the worm!

I'll keep you updated!!!

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop   You are like me....I give a company only so much rope...then I move on.  My husband and I are self employed going on 42 years...if we did business like some contractors we have dealt with over the years, we would be out of business.  

Trusted Contributor

You know, blinds are one of the few areas I've not heard many people complain about when it comes to where they purchased and who installed them. Be it Lowes, Home Depot, Costco, Pennys or a privately owned company, everyone I know (including myself) always has positive things to say. 

I've done 20 windows (our townhouse) and went with a Mom and Pop discount company and they were fantastic. Found them through another mom-friend who had even more windows that needed blinds and wanted the cheapest price possible. Local to our area, we were impressed and have given their name out many, many times. 

Shame all contract jobs can't be this easy and successful.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

UPDATE:  Went with the small family owned business (owned by 2 brothers) and having the 13 windows done for about $2,000.   We went with faux textured wood in white.  We did not want the room to look exactly the same - wanted a change.  I think these will look nicer than the aluminum blinds that we currently have.

They said the blinds won't be ready to be installed for 1 - 3 months.   Like everything else, it's taking a long time to get things made and delivered.  

Next is to hire a painter!

Esteemed Contributor

I'd stay away from the Home Depots/Lowes -- they use sub-contractors - many times they get bad reviews. A couple of years ago, I wanted to change out 2 sets of faux wood blinds to shutters on two bedroom windows. I went to Yelp - and there were 2 companies that got many 5 Star Reviews. I left a message for each - and the first guy that called me back got the job. He's the owner of the company which is close to my home. He measured the windows and gave me a reasonable price - and a discount since I'm a senior. It took 6 weeks to get the shutters (he told me that ahead of time) - and 2 male workers came to my house and installed them. Great Job

Since u have a big job --- I recommend calling at least 6 companies that have great reviews. When contacting them - ask if they charge to come down to give an estimate - if they do, don't use them. They will all give u their recommendations and prices - and you'll learn something from each one. Then u could choose who u feel comfortable with. It does get expensive - but they measure and install - and u need someone who's experienced and honest!!!!