Honored Contributor

Re: Need recommendations for a new washing machine

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@geezerette, it sounds like I have the same GE washer that you have. I've had it for about 2 years and have been very happy with it. No problems, clean clothes, more options than I really need, yet it's still considered just a basic washer! It's just hubby and me....bought it at Lowes and have been happy with it since it was delivered and set up!

@jannabelle1 

It's quite probable.  I got mine at Lowe's too, which is really my only option.   I never did care for the machines that wouldn't let me choose the amount of water I wanted and GE seemed to be the only brand available to me that offered that option.  I'm satisfied with mine as well, so far.  Glad to hear yours is doing well--hopefully we both will have good luck and be able to use them for years without problems!

They are quite basic models and I got the most basic of the two that have this water option.  Next time I need a washer though, I think I'd go for the other model since I do miss a couple of the features my model doesn't have.  Assuming they're still available when I need one, that is.

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@Sunshine Kate  The Maytag Commercial Washer for Residental use is model # MVWP575GW.  It's NOT sold in box stores like HomeDepot or Lowes but can be found in dealer appliance stores.  I bought mine from an independent appliance store that carries/sells major appliances.  If you live in NJ, like I do, I will be happy to give you the name of the appliance store I got mine from. 

@ciao_bella 

I don't live in NJ, but I know what kind of independent store you're talking about.  I will check there.  

Thanks for the response. 

Trusted Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

2 recommendations...Maytag Commercial Grade Residential model MVWP575GW & Speed Queen top loader but make sure it isn't the redesigned washer made in 2018. Good Luck @Lady Chat, I hope you're happy with your new washer.

I want a Speed Queen but I don't know how to guarantee that I won't Gey a redesigned washer.  I don't always believe sales people!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

I have had both top load and front.  I HATE front load.  It didn't clean the clothes, the seal on the door was slimy.  It came with the house we bought.  When we bought the house we are in now, it had a new washer and dryer - front load.  I called St. Mathews to come pick them up and went to Lowes and bought a no bells and whistles Whirlpool top load washer (with an agitator) and dryer.  I have had them for 6 years and I love them.  I don't like the fact that you can't pause and let a batch of clothes soak though.  I don't know who thought that was a good idea, but I couldn't find one that would let me do that.  

My sister has a top load without an agitator and she said that her clothes never seem clean.  It is a water saving feature...the tub never fully fills so she has to do smaller loads more often.  Forget the water saver.  I want clean clothes.

You are right, I am in the same situation as your sister - clothes never clean!

in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@Lady Chat  I totally agree with KitCat51.  Two years ago, I was in the same situation you are in now.  I bought a Maytag without the agitator that most models are today.  They have what are called washing plates.  Nothing but problems and within the first year, (thankfully was still under the 1 year warranty) had to have the repairman down at least 10 times because the machine would just stop between cycles.  Repairman replaced several parts and some of the same parts even more than once...never could find the problem.  So, Maytag (which is now owned by Whirlpool) condemned the machine as unfixable and gave me a credit towards another machine of my choice.  

I picked the Commercial Maytag for Residential use and, although it was more money than the original washer I had purchased, it is a dream to own.  It has the regular agitator and not loaded with a ton of bells and whistles.  It also is not HE, meaning you can get a full washer of water to clean your clothes, instead of the spit of water in the new HE machines.  Love this machine!  Also, there is a full 5 year warranty as opposed to the other machines which are only 1 year.  The other option would be the Speed Queen, but as KitCat referenced make sure you don't buy the one model that was a dud for them.   Good Luck. 

Can you share where you purchased your commercial grade?  Do regular stores sell them???? Appreciate your suggestion!!

in your life!!!
Valued Contributor

@brandiwine You are right, Samsungs are junk!! We had a repairman out here the other day and we asked about which appliances were best, and the first thing he said was "Whatever you do, don't get a Samsung!!". He said they are a nightmare.

Contributor

I fully second getting a top-loading Maytag with an agitator. I bought (I think? the exact model number is) the MVWC565FW. It was one (at the time I needed it: 2017) of the few washers which actually looked like it was made to (reasonably) last long and, did not look like the plastic spray-painted-box junk appliances are now. So far, as a single person, I've had no problems using mine going on three years. The best thing is how you can spin even further excess rinse water out of a load on a separate cycle AFTER the machine finishes; so, that, it will really cut down on utility costs if you have a gas dryer as well.
Respected Contributor

I'm sorry this reply is so late.  I just saw it now as it didn't appear in any notification before.  

I purchased mine at an independent appliance store.  I'm from NJ and I can give you the name of the store I bought mine at.  It's Bayshore Appliance.  If you're from another state, I would suggest you look in a directory for appliance stores that sell Maytag appliances.  You will NOT find this model in big box stores like Lowes or HomeDepot. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

I have the larger size Whirlpool - no agitator - that uses HE liquid detergent. LOVE IT!!!! Roomy top loader and I purchased from Lowes aroung 4-1/2 yrs ago. When the machine starts (yes, sounds like a spaceship) - u could open the lid and put more items in. It also locks when using.

Never had a problem.

Respected Contributor

We have the same be washer with an agitator and 4 water levels plus the he setting. I have raved about this washer on here many times.but I have noticed when I put in a blanket even when I have it set on the highest water level it still only fills half way up because blanket isn't heavy so it gives you a half tub of water .I hated that it does that even when I pick full tub. I found a way around that. I put blanket in washer without turning  it on. I pour a couple gallons of water over load.then turn in washer. And then turn on washer. And it fills up with Lot of water. The water I added makes washer think load is much heavier so you get slot more water.