Contributor

Re: Need recommendations for a new washing machine

@ciao_bella wrote:

@Lady Chat  I totally agree with KitCat51.  Two years ago, I was in the same situation you are in now.  I bought a Maytag without the agitator that most models are today.  They have what are called washing plates.  Nothing but problems and within the first year, (thankfully was still under the 1 year warranty) had to have the repairman down at least 10 times because the machine would just stop between cycles.  Repairman replaced several parts and some of the same parts even more than once...never could find the problem.  So, Maytag (which is now owned by Whirlpool) condemned the machine as unfixable and gave me a credit towards another machine of my choice.  

I picked the Commercial Maytag for Residential use and, although it was more money than the original washer I had purchased, it is a dream to own.  It has the regular agitator and not loaded with a ton of bells and whistles.  It also is not HE, meaning you can get a full washer of water to clean your clothes, instead of the spit of water in the new HE machines.  Love this machine!  Also, there is a full 5 year warranty as opposed to the other machines which are only 1 year.  The other option would be the Speed Queen, but as KitCat referenced make sure you don't buy the one model that was a dud for them.   Good Luck. 

Hi ciaobella! I have a question about the Maytag Commercial Grade Residential model MVWP575GW. I know the basin size is 3.5 cu. ft .  Are you able to get larger items like blankets, comforters and bath towels in, without any difficulty?  Also do you find any problems with delicate items , like tearing or shredding?  Do you feel it rinses well?   Thank you!

Respected Contributor

The Washing machines on the market today are plastic junky tubs,made of very shoddy materials. Im grateful to have an operating washing machine from the early 1990s (Kenmore) that was made of solid metal.  It has broke a few times but a repair person has come out to swap out parts.  He has frequently told me to hang onto it as long as I can because the machines of today are not built to last and have electronic components that fail.  Mine is an analog model with a dial.  Im very happy with it.   Sadly this is just another commentary about how America is in decline.  The consumers of today view everthing as dispensible and will gladly throw something away (along with their $$$) every few years.

Respected Contributor

@geezeret

I think I have same machine.  I did not want to go big investment since my two year old LG  upper quality machine broke and not repairable.  I have been pleased with options and results for the cost.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

I have a Maytag commercial washer, too.  It is a simple machine.  I don't need anything special.  My DS has a fancy front loader that take an hour to do a load of wash.  That's a long time!  Mine takes 30 minutes (or less), wrings out the clothes well, and things get clean.  I have the same brand/kind of dryer. 

@sandy53 

Does the washer fill all the way with water for a full load?

Yes, I think so.  Anyway, full enough.

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

I have a Maytag commercial washer, too.  It is a simple machine.  I don't need anything special.  My DS has a fancy front loader that take an hour to do a load of wash.  That's a long time!  Mine takes 30 minutes (or less), wrings out the clothes well, and things get clean.  I have the same brand/kind of dryer. 

@sandy53 

Does the washer fill all the way with water for a full load?

@Sunshine Kate   Yes, water fills all the way up for a full load.   Also, there's one setting that will allow the water to fill half way up, so if you only have a few items and you don't want the water filling up as in a full load, you would choose that setting.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

@Lady Chat  I hope KitCat doesn't mind but I'm going to jump in and throw my two cents in too since I also have this same washer.  

It easily handles a BIG load of towels, face cloths and dish towels all in one load.  As far as blankets and comforters, I've washed my queen blankets and comforter without any problem at all.   I've not had any issues with tearing or shredding of delicate items either, but I have always used lingerie bags for very delicate items.  

I'm fairly confident, KitCat will echo my feelings about this washer.  

Respected Contributor

@Lady Chat wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

@Lady Chat  I totally agree with KitCat51.  Two years ago, I was in the same situation you are in now.  I bought a Maytag without the agitator that most models are today.  They have what are called washing plates.  Nothing but problems and within the first year, (thankfully was still under the 1 year warranty) had to have the repairman down at least 10 times because the machine would just stop between cycles.  Repairman replaced several parts and some of the same parts even more than once...never could find the problem.  So, Maytag (which is now owned by Whirlpool) condemned the machine as unfixable and gave me a credit towards another machine of my choice.  

I picked the Commercial Maytag for Residential use and, although it was more money than the original washer I had purchased, it is a dream to own.  It has the regular agitator and not loaded with a ton of bells and whistles.  It also is not HE, meaning you can get a full washer of water to clean your clothes, instead of the spit of water in the new HE machines.  Love this machine!  Also, there is a full 5 year warranty as opposed to the other machines which are only 1 year.  The other option would be the Speed Queen, but as KitCat referenced make sure you don't buy the one model that was a dud for them.   Good Luck. 

Hi ciaobella! I have a question about the Maytag Commercial Grade Residential model MVWP575GW. I know the basin size is 3.5 cu. ft .  Are you able to get larger items like blankets, comforters and bath towels in, without any difficulty?  Also do you find any problems with delicate items , like tearing or shredding?  Do you feel it rinses well?   Thank you!

@Lady Chat  I just noticed you asked me the same question as KitCat.  I responded to this question on your post to her.  Sorry, didn't see this until after I posted my response already. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Wish that Maytag were bigger.  I have king size bedding.  Too bad.  Maybe Maytag will make a larger version.

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette, it sounds like I have the same GE washer that you have. I've had it for about 2 years and have been very happy with it. No problems, clean clothes, more options than I really need, yet it's still considered just a basic washer! It's just hubby and me....bought it at Lowes and have been happy with it since it was delivered and set up!

Contributor

Thank you!