Respected Contributor

Re: Need recommendations for a new washing machine

@ciao_bella wrote:

@Lady Chat  I totally agree with KitCat51.  Two years ago, I was in the same situation you are in now.  I bought a Maytag without the agitator that most models are today.  They have what are called washing plates.  Nothing but problems and within the first year, (thankfully was still under the 1 year warranty) had to have the repairman down at least 10 times because the machine would just stop between cycles.  Repairman replaced several parts and some of the same parts even more than once...never could find the problem.  So, Maytag (which is now owned by Whirlpool) condemned the machine as unfixable and gave me a credit towards another machine of my choice.  

I picked the Commercial Maytag for Residential use and, although it was more money than the original washer I had purchased, it is a dream to own.  It has the regular agitator and not loaded with a ton of bells and whistles.  It also is not HE, meaning you can get a full washer of water to clean your clothes, instead of the spit of water in the new HE machines.  Love this machine!  Also, there is a full 5 year warranty as opposed to the other machines which are only 1 year.  The other option would be the Speed Queen, but as KitCat referenced make sure you don't buy the one model that was a dud for them.   Good Luck. 

@ciao_bella 

This commercial Maytag sounds like what I'm looking for.  Is it readily available at stores that sell appliances?

What store did you purchase from?

Thanks

Trusted Contributor

I have a Maytag commercial washer, too.  It is a simple machine.  I don't need anything special.  My DS has a fancy front loader that take an hour to do a load of wash.  That's a long time!  Mine takes 30 minutes (or less), wrings out the clothes well, and things get clean.  I have the same brand/kind of dryer. 

Respected Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

I have a Maytag commercial washer, too.  It is a simple machine.  I don't need anything special.  My DS has a fancy front loader that take an hour to do a load of wash.  That's a long time!  Mine takes 30 minutes (or less), wrings out the clothes well, and things get clean.  I have the same brand/kind of dryer. 

@sandy53 

Does the washer fill all the way with water for a full load?

Honored Contributor

Front loader all the way.  I've had both and clothes come out much cleaner with the front loader.  And it can't go out of balance.  I plan on buying the pedestals if I ever have to replace this one.  It has run flawlessly for 14 years.  (Maytag Epic or something like that)

Honored Contributor

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio top load HE with no agitator and I absolutely hate it!

I fell for the the hype about saving water and no agitator is better for your clothes, but mine sux!

Not enough water to clean clothes well, so I have to do half loads, which in the long run doesn't save any water.

No soak cycle and if you stop the cycle to allow a soak, within minutes, the water drains out, spins and you have to start over again, using more water.

There is a 'bulky' setting which adds more water than regular cycles, but also doesn't drain well and I always have to do another 'spin & drain' cycle, using more electricity.

DH has said to just buy a replacement non HE washer, but I can't justify that when this one still works.

I think I need a washer 'hit man'!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

If it's a Samsung RUN THE OTHER WAY!  My poor DIL got one and it's been one awful thing after another.  They have 0 customer service.  I'd stick with Maytag, Whirlpool or GE.  

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate  The Maytag Commercial Washer for Residental use is model # MVWP575GW.  It's NOT sold in box stores like HomeDepot or Lowes but can be found in dealer appliance stores.  I bought mine from an independent appliance store that carries/sells major appliances.  If you live in NJ, like I do, I will be happy to give you the name of the appliance store I got mine from. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

I have a GE top loader.  It has an agitator but it also has HE feature.  You can choose your water fill size or use the "Precise Fill" option which is like the non-agitator machines that determine how much water to use.  I rarely use that option because as was mentioned, it doesn't use enough water for most of my loads.

Respected Contributor

Speed Queen

Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

2 recommendations...Maytag Commercial Grade Residential model MVWP575GW & Speed Queen top loader but make sure it isn't the redesigned washer made in 2018. Good Luck @Lady Chat, I hope you're happy with your new washer.

Hi! Kitcat51! I have a question about the Maytag Commercial Grade Residential model MVWP575GW. I know the basin size is 3.5 cu. ft .  Are you able to get larger items like blankets, comforters and bath towels in, without any difficulty?  Also do you find any problems with delicate items , like tearing or shredding?  Thank you!